Yoga — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Yoga

YogaMindandBody
YogaMindandBody Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi

I am developing Yoga for Cerebral Palsey and would welcome the opportunity to talk to someone about this work please.

Thank you, Johnston

Comments

• CathyInSouthAfrica
    CathyInSouthAfrica Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    I really find yoga helpful
  • YogaMindandBody
    Could you tell me more please Cathy? In what way does it help and does it offer more that physio. Thanks
  • CathyInSouthAfrica
    I went to schools for the disabled until 11 and I hated physio because of the pain.  I tried physio a couple of times in my 20's because of a nagging aunt, but it was just the same painful exercises, namely the bridge pose and being on a fours and raising opposite arm and leg.
    I got very tired walking, so my general fitness was always low.  I remember times walking back from the shops and forcing myself to make the next 10 steps before having to rest. "Just make it to the next corner, Cathy", I would tell myself. 
    Maybe that is why I thought I could not to normal exercises.  I got a car and a job I love, so I forgot about physio and exercise. I could travel and do most things, as long as I didn't have to walk far. The worst thing for me was to find someone to carry my coffee to my chair. I was happy to make it for everyone, I just couldn't carry it.

But then my friends got me doing a little exercise - it was amazing, normal aerobic exercises. The first time I tried to jump in my mid-30's, I still remember - my feet didn't even leave the floor, I sort of just made my body flop up and down, and it kind of just sounded a bit like a jump.  A few months later I could jump, only about 10 in a row, and not at all elegantly, but definitely jumping.  I tried jogging, aerobics, tai chi, yoga, Pilates and, wow, with a little perseverance, and no-one watching me to closely, I could do more. 

I prefer it when I can go at my own speed - being in a one-on-one class made me feel inadequate and too much pressure to perform.  Being in a class, it was nice seeing other people struggle too.  With CP it takes longer, a lot longer, to co-ordinate, so it is nice to have access to guidance, but not to be forced to get it right quickly.  It is a fine line between encouragement and pressure; anonymity and reward.
    I need help, but I don't like being dependent, or having people always making special arrangements for me.

In yoga I like the standing and sitting postures.  They explain in detail, so you can get int the correct posture. They push you in the exact spot which improves your posture, and it feels so good.  The put supports and blocks at just the right positions to make it comfortable. 

I remember wanting to cry in pain when I did physio, other kids were screaming in pain. 
    In yoga, the pain tells you that you are in the wrong posture, and they help you get into the correct posture, so you can do the pose better and not have pain.
    In physio, I felt they were cruel and mean.
    In yoga, they are disciplined, but logical and kind, and got a lot more out of me.
    (Why is yoga more logical that physio when both do the bridge pose?  Physio didn't start with warmup stretches, they didn't have the extra mats to stop the knee pain, and they focused on muscle strength, not achieving the correct posture before strengthening the muscles.  My yoga instructor gets me to use a hemisphere ball, so it is less painful and I don't collapse when I tire or the pain gets too much, and the support means I can stretch for longer, and keep repeating it, because I don't have to keep starting from the beginning)

I really believe the best way to improve posture is to start releasing the neck. If you are making a yoga program, I hope you emphasize this.  To me, it just makes sense that you cannot release tight shoulders, arms and hands until the neck moves freely first. Once the neck is loose, the poses then pull the ligaments right down the spine, so the hips can start to open.  When the hips open, the legs can loosen and the feet almost straighten themselves.
  • Rainbow_wheelz16
    Rainbow_wheelz16 Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    I try to do some yoga, as a form of stretching and breathing. I have to do it laying down. 
  • YogaMindandBody
    Cathy: thank you so much for that. I found it very inspiring and makes me think this is a path for my Yoga teaching that is well worth developing. Let's keeps in touch if I may suggest.
  • CathyInSouthAfrica
    Hi Johnston - how is the yoga going?
  • Nefret
    Nefret Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    You jumped!???? Good on you!!!  I so wish I could jump.  I can walk for a bit with a cane if more than 20 steps. Your story is so inspiring!! 
    Thank you!
    All the best.
  • Colourfull
    Colourfull Community member Posts: 59 Courageous
    Hi to all interested in where I can find @ yoga group to help me with the health issues I have and so I can regain more strengh and feel better about myself and meet new people I live in Killamarsh where would be the nearest one to me

Thankyou

Colourfull.

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Colourfull
    I think a good place to start would be your GP surgery who may know about local yoga classes.  
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Pia_Scope
    Pia_Scope Scope Posts: 41 Pioneering
    Hi@Colourfull
    I am happy to hear that you are interested in yoga as this can be so beneficial for your mind, body and spirit. 
    I just did a google search for "yoga in Killamarsh" and there is quite a few places that is offering classes in your area.

All the best & I hope that you will find one that is suitable for you.

Pia
    Scope Employment Advisor
    Phone: 0300 222 5742
    Email: supporttowork@scope.org.uk
    www.scope.org.uk/supporttowork

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.