Direct Payments...how do I work out holiday pay?? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Direct Payments...how do I work out holiday pay??

Abigail
Abigail Community member Posts: 11 Listener
Hello, Well this website has helped me so much in the past....but this is a tricky one...

I am employing a carer with direct payments and I know I have a legal duty to include holidays.
One carer works in term time only though eg. one day a week (8 hours) x 40 weeks a year, so instead of days off I will be paying holiday pay (which I think I am obliged to do legally).
What is the calculation for this? I am paying £10 an hour. 

I am rubbish at maths! Please can someone help me? How much should I add onto the hourly rate to cover the holiday entitlement?

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2016
    Hi @Abigail

I found this information for you from Disability Rights UK:

Calculating Holiday Entitlement

Your PA has an entitlement to holiday pay that is based on the PA’s average pay. You need to ensure that your staff get their statutory holiday pay of a minimum 28 days (5.6 weeks, assuming a 5 day working week) paid annual leave a year which includes the eight bank and public holidays (pro rota). The employee is entitled to be paid for any leave s/he hasn’t taken if s/he stops working for you.

Depending on your PA’s working pattern, you may find it easier to calculate their holiday allowance in hours rather than days. For instance, if your PA works 15 hours a week, they are entitled to 84 hours per annum, i.e. 15 x 5.6 equal 84 hours in total including the bank holidays.

This link allows you to calculate the statutory holiday entitlement in days or hours.

Hope this helps

Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.