Motorcycle Adaptation information needed — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Motorcycle Adaptation information needed

triker1958
triker1958 Community member Posts: 6 Listener

I lost my left arm in a motorcycle accident, but, I haven't lost the desire to ride a bike again. I recently bought a Honda cx500 trike which needs restoration and it would of course need adaptations to enable me to ride it single handed (no pun intended). I am going to need a lot of advice on how to achieve this so I'm interested in contacting people who've had similar problems or forums that might help,

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @triker1958

Welcome to the community and thanks for such an interesting first post.  I have no ideas straight off the bat but will speak to my biker husband and come back to you! 

I hope other members might have some ideas for you.

Look forward to chatting more

Sam
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Sam_Alumni
    Hi @triker1958

So I found a couple of websites that might be helpful to you, the first one is Disabled Motorcycle Riders, they sell products to adapt your motorbike so you can use the clutch and brakes on one handlebar.  One is the Dualever but take a look around the website, you can also call them on 01206 322557 or email them on mail@flatshifter.com

The other site is
    the National Association for Bikers with a Disability (NABD) which is a registered charity that has grown to become the world’s leading support group for motorcyclists who suffer disabilities due to accident, illness, genetic conditions or any other cause.

I hope this is of help to you! Let us know how you get on (including photos I would love to see your project as it progresses!) 
    Sam
    Scope
  • triker1958
    Dear Sam,

Thanks for your mail and useful info.  Just so as you know more about my project, here are a couple of photos of the trike as it stands.  Needs a lot of work and I must get rid of that rear seat!!
  • triker1958
  • triker1958
    Here's the side view.  Bit rough isn't it!!
  • Sam_Alumni
    Oh best of luck with the restoration!!!
    Scope
  • Sam_Alumni
    We asked twitter and got these responses;
    "how about the controls similar to a quad bike a thumb trigger for throttle ?"
    "check out the NABD website"
    Scope
  • triker1958
    Thanks Sam for your comment>  I will have a look at a quad bike to see whether it will give me some inspiration, but, I don't really need to worry (I think) so much about the throttle.  I'm more likely to have issues wth the clutch and moving the indicators and hi/low beam controls to the right-hand side.  I have been told that the N.A.B.D. could help me to get a dual clutch/ brake lever and I will be contacting them at a later date to find out.  That will be when  I have designed and built a temporary foot clutch, purely to put it on a trailer and move it to a garage I have rented,  I will be then ready to apply for a new license and discuss things with the N.A.B.D. of which I am already a member.  Moving my trike to the garage is my priority and I will, then, think about obtaining suitable adaptations and a  grant for them.  Once again Sam, thanks for your suggestion. Gary.   

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.