PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

What are people's experiences of switching from DLA to PIP?

gingermusicgingermusic Member Posts: 8 Connected
edited December 2016 in PIP, DLA and AA
Hi I am Ruth 66 years old and live in Hertfordshire. I have 3 adult children am a grand mother to 10 and a great grand mother to 2. I have suffered with COPD and emphysema since I was around 40 years of age which has limited most things in my life. Been in receipt of DLA for the past 14 years and now dreading being switched to PIP and maybe having to lose part if not all of my disability money. Have others had to go through this process and was it ok for them?

Replies

• WaterLilyWaterLily Member Posts: 55 Courageous
    Hi, I went from high rate mobility (no daily living) on DLA to standard rate on both daily living and mobility, on PIP.  I now recieve more money than before and my husband could now claim carers allowance, but I have to return my motability car. I had been in receipt of DLA for 15 years and had been with motability for all that time. I scored 10 out of 12 for the mobility part. 
    I am going to appeal. 

• maggie54maggie54 Member Posts: 11 Connected
    Hi my husband was on high rate DLA for care and mobility since he went on pip he gets enhanced mobility and standard care we asked them to look at it again and we had a letter on Friday saying there decision stands we are hopping to appeal but they say he could lose what he already gets his disability is worse now than it was before he is never going to get any better but the people at pip don't care 
  • MatildaMatilda Member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    I went from DLA high rate mobility and highest rate care to PIP standard rate for both elements.  Mandatory reconsideration didn't change DWP's decision (par for the course).  I am now appealing.  I understand that if a tribunal is minded to remove any PIP already awarded, they have to warn you at the start of the hearing.  You can then withdraw your appeal and keep the PIP you've already got.  Over 60% of appeals are successful.
  • gingermusicgingermusic Member Posts: 8 Connected
    Thank you for your information I feel very daunted
    Just take it one stage at a time.
  • SquiggSquigg Member Posts: 34 Connected
    Meh so not looking forward to my assetment at the min I'm in pain at all times I know and feel that my cp has worsen and it had affects on my moods..... My balance had gotten worst.... I already filled the form out and they now want to asset me I even added a supportive letter from gp even went to hops today ongoing knee/ back and ankle issues all related to cp as I've now found out ....
  • Zec RichardsonZec Richardson Member Posts: 155 Pioneering
    I felt sick when I recieved the letter saying I was making the transfer from DLA to PiP!
    We asked for a home visit as I had them for ESA assessments but I was turned down, the problem is that my pain levels are super high and sitting there in an assessment is ridiculously painful.
    I cancelled the first appointment as my pain was too high but on the second appointment I was having a flare up, not wanting to risk losing the benefits I said to my wife we would still go!
    Needless to say they weren't running on time, I had taking extra Oramorph and even some extra meds I shouldn't just to try and get through it, I tried laying on some seats but that was even worse and so I just sat in my wheelchair.
    I was 48 then, I'm 6' 4" I have a grade one hair cut and a beard and so I hate what happened next. My pain became so bad that I ended up in tears, I hate people seeing me like that but see me they did. This is when my wife became angry and spoke with the receptionist and strangely we went straight in, it turns out my assessor was having a tea break!
    I laid on the examination bed thing throughout and when she came to examine me, she looked at me and said "no I don't think I will", I told her it was okay if it helped my case but she declined!
    I kept my award, middle care and high mobility but where I had an indefinite award with DLA, I only recieved 5 years for PiP. It was a relief to get the award but surely they could have given me a home visit?

I really think the way we are all being treated over this is utterly disgusting I really do. The decisions on this should be taken purely from the details of our illness given by our GP's and consultants never from non medical people interviewing us. I do realise there are some people maybe conning the system but they should be sorted out in the right manner and not by the rest of us who had correct claims being made to suffer.
    edited December 2016
    People could complain to their MPs about how the DWP and assessment companies are treating them - but I'm not sure it would make much difference.  Would depend on the MP concerned.  I, along with numerous other constituents, complained to my, Labour, MP.  She wrote an all-purpose letter to the Minister for Employment, covering PIP and ESA, who sent an all-purpose reply saying, in effect, no change, we're going to carry on cutting benefits to the bone -  because we don't think that taxpayers should have to pay for lifestyles that they themselves couldn't afford!  Evidently, the Minister thinks that disabled people enjoy lives of luxury on benefits!  And the Minister conveniently forgot that PIP and ESA claimants are also taxpayers, even if they only pay indirect taxes.  My MP sent constituents who'd complained a copy of the Minister's letter with a covering letter saying, in effect, she'd tried, but she was sorry, there was nothing more she could do.  

It appears that my MP has accepted the Minister's fob off. 
    I heard somewhere that these assessments are based on an American insurance companies test that tries to catch out people making a false claim!
    So rather than finding out what the problems are that we face, they are trying to constantly find fault and that is despicable.
    The questions often make no sense at all, yes I can use my arms and lift a litre of milk or whatever but the fact that I'm often in too much pain to get out of bed or off the settee means that it doesn't really matter!
    Also Orthopaedics and pain management have said they can't help me any further and so they wanted to discharge me, I had to ask them not to because if I can't show that I'm being seen by a consultant, then the benefits system reads this as I'm not that bad!
    What I find hard is that many of us have had to battle doctors because they don't give us the care we need or often we are disbelieved, I was told I was imagining it in the beginning and we fought to be believed and so these assessments are quite hard mentally, why should we have to fight to prove we are disabled and or chronically unwell?
    Know the feeling, dreading my assessment.... I got refered to another hosp ans also am under one hospital already sent letters and Dr's letter and still they want to.see me to believe that I'm disabled.....long term illness is never gonna get better I know in myself that I'm suffering and not able to sleep well....
    I honestly don't think they really care
    Why do claimants have to provide evidence anyway? Why can't the DWP/ATOS just take a look at your Drs notes? That will tell them all they need to know,surely?
    If they want evidence of how your disability affects your day to day living, then it is unlikely that your consultant or doctor would know it? I know from my own experience that whenever I visit the Dr or hospital I never go into details about 'the pain I was in the other day after I'd got down the stairs',etc,etc.  I see my Dr for painkillers or antibiotics, say, and then I leave. I don't have in depth conversations with Drs about my day to day life and even if I did, I doubt it would be on my notes anyway. 
    There are many disabilities that people have and just have to come to terms with and get on with it.  

Have any of you has assessment thru atos to dla transfer to PIP and got pip?? i did have dla for life 
    I was given a lifetime award for the mobility component of DLA 15 years ago. 
    And even though my disability has worsened, I have been awarded standard rate mobility on PIP and therefore my car has to be returned.
    WaterLily said:
    I was given a lifetime award for the mobility component of DLA 15 years ago. 
    And even though my disability has worsened, I have been awarded standard rate mobility on PIP and therefore my car has to be returned.
    This really angers me, so many people have lost their cars and their independence!
    Water lilly, I hope you appealed and so on?
    Squigg said:
    I have sent a Mandatory Reconsideration letter back to the DWP in the hope that they will give me the 2 extra points I need to be able to keep the motability car. 
    If they don't, (and I have heard not many people are successful at this point) then I will go to appeal. 
    Its just a waiting game, now. 
  • nanof6nanof6 Member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    yes i was on lifetime DLA  had to apply for pip,i got top points for both, that was from april last year, then i got my first PIP payment the end of september.all the best with yours, gingermusic, let us no how you get on.
    Hey got a decision thankfully I was awarded to pip standard and echoard for ongoing period as same as indefinetly.... I'm happy as I really did think I was gonna fail on it 
    WaterLily said:
    Squigg said:
    I have sent a Mandatory Reconsideration letter back to the DWP in the hope that they will give me the 2 extra points I need to be able to keep the motability car. 
    If they don't, (and I have heard not many people are successful at this point) then I will go to appeal. 
    Its just a waiting game, now. 
    Unbelievably, I had to return my motability car nearly two weeks ago,then a week later I had a letter from the DWP that my Mandatory Reconsideration had been successful and that they gave me the 2 extra points I needed and I now get the enhanced mobility component!
    I couldn't really believe it as I never thought it would happen and that I would most definitely be going to the appeal tribunal. 
    But now I cannot return to motability for 6 months. 
    We have now purchased our own car and used the £2000 towards it that motability give you as a transition payment. 

Motability is a fantastic organisation and I would never have left it otherwise. 
    Yayay congrats water lilly
    Squigg said:
    Yayay congrats water lilly
    Thank you Squigg!
  • san1954san1954 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    What's the £2000 you get how do you get this I want to get my own car
  • charmedcharmed Member Posts: 53 Connected
    Bringing back car in good condition - loyalty payment cant get till 6 months after handing car in thus when reapplying for new car
  • san1954san1954 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    san1954 said:
    What's the £2000 you get how do you get this I want to get my own car
    Hi san1954,
    when I returned my motability car, I received my £2000 cheque less than a week later. 
    Then, because I had paid a deposit of over £500 and had only had the car a couple of months,I was given a large proportion of that back,too. Think that cheque took another week. 
    As you can see, I didn't wait long at all. 
    And as is typical of Motability,it was all very straight forward. 
    Hope this helps.
  • audsauds Member Posts: 1 Listener
    I just got my appointment for my assessment not looking forward to it. Been on higher rate  DWP for 13 years ,if it wasent for my meds ,I could not cope. Just more stress  .
  • ChrisKzChrisKz Member Posts: 33 Connected
    I had to sense to buy an older vehicle , spent my mobility allowance to convert it . They cannot take that away from me . Just used the rest to service it and buy mobility aids , that no one can take away . Looks like I did the right option. Hope this post helps some people to never fall into the trap of Mobility scams

Also own my Mobility scooter .. not hired.contracted out
    I was on DLA top rates care and mobility, reduced to standard daily needs and mobility PIP.  Fortunately, my car was my own, not Motability's.  I'd recommend, if people are able to do so, to buy a car, not lease.  Although they no longer promote their purchase scheme, I think that Motability do still run one if you ask - for either a new or used car.
    LOL . cannot get a 4x4 on mobility . sorry but I cannot get into a "normal " car  ( spine probs)  so had to have it raised up so that i can "tip toe" into the seat and just slide out .. not like a car where you lower yourself to get in , then struggle to raise up .

• nanof6nanof6 Member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    a week before i got the pip results, i was sent the leaflets about moterbilty, i thought that was a good sine i got pip, id already bought a 3 year old already converted for my use,so if anyone is waiting for a reply about pip, and get the leaflet while they are waiting its looking good.
    Well after all my fears and worries about transferring from DLA to PIP I have to say I was one of the very luck ones. No f2f just got awarded enhanced on both mobility and care so my money stays the same as always and I am delighted. Also got it awarded until 2028 so best of luck to anybody else waiting to hear.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Listener
    @gingermusic that’s absolutely amazing. Well done & so pleased for you. I’ve just got the letter this week saying I need to claid Pip as DLA is ending. I’m terrified so hearing good news like yours has brightened my day! Xx
    If its any help I included a print out from my doctor regarding medication and when I was diagnosed with various things. I also filled it in assuming a worse day scenario and to get enhanced mobility you need to state 20 metres is the furthest you can walk without needing to stop, hope this helps you
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Listener
    Thank you, yes I’m intending of getting a letter of support from my GP to include meds & all my conditions, when I was diagnosed etc. 
    I done that when I applied for ESA and was placed in the support group without having to attend a f2f :) xx
  • sue66sue66 Member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    I felt sick when I recieved the letter saying I was making the transfer from DLA to PiP!
    We asked for a home visit as I had them for ESA assessments but I was turned down, the problem is that my pain levels are super high and sitting there in an assessment is ridiculously painful.
    I cancelled the first appointment as my pain was too high but on the second appointment I was having a flare up, not wanting to risk losing the benefits I said to my wife we would still go!
    Needless to say they weren't running on time, I had taking extra Oramorph and even some extra meds I shouldn't just to try and get through it, I tried laying on some seats but that was even worse and so I just sat in my wheelchair.
    I was 48 then, I'm 6' 4" I have a grade one hair cut and a beard and so I hate what happened next. My pain became so bad that I ended up in tears, I hate people seeing me like that but see me they did. This is when my wife became angry and spoke with the receptionist and strangely we went straight in, it turns out my assessor was having a tea break!
    I laid on the examination bed thing throughout and when she came to examine me, she looked at me and said "no I don't think I will", I told her it was okay if it helped my case but she declined!
    I kept my award, middle care and high mobility but where I had an indefinite award with DLA, I only recieved 5 years for PiP. It was a relief to get the award but surely they could have given me a home visit?

Yes in my opinion they should have, disgusting  it really is. Glad you kept your award, middle care and high mobility  but why only 5 years? Why cant they accept that most of us are no better or even worse than when we applied for and got the DLA indefinite award. If we were born before 1948 we get left in peace, no need to apply for PIP. if we were born after this then how ever bad we are we have to  keep going through this and being re assessed  every so many years. Surely its what we have to contend with that should count, not the year we were born in!
  • BarbiesnemesisBarbiesnemesis Member Posts: 86 Pioneering
    I lost my car when changing over to PIP. I used to get high rate for both on DLA. I asked for a reconsideration and got the care increased to high rate but not the mobility. I have appealed and finally, after 11 months of waiting, I have my appeal date for the end of June. I'm absolutely terrified.

• YadnadYadnad Member - under moderation Posts: 2,862 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2018
    sue66 said:

Yes in my opinion they should have, disgusting  it really is. Glad you kept your award, middle care and high mobility  but why only 5 years? Why cant they accept that most of us are no better or even worse than when we applied for and got the DLA indefinite award. If we were born before 1948 we get left in peace, no need to apply for PIP. if we were born after this then how ever bad we are we have to  keep going through this and being re assessed  every so many years. Surely its what we have to contend with that should count, not the year we were born in!
    My sentiments exactly.

I was born just a few weeks too late and was 65 just after the cut off date.
    Previously I had HRM & HRC DLA Indefinitely.
    3 face to face assessments later in the past 5 years I received the same result - no award.
    Eventually I had the first two decisions overturned - ERM & ERC each time being given a 3 year period, review after 2.
    The 3rd assessment and decision still stands - no award as simply I cannot keep on facing these assessments every other year for the rest of my life. I have given up with the system and not appealed

edited May 2018
    I lost my car when changing over to PIP. I used to get high rate for both on DLA. I asked for a reconsideration and got the care increased to high rate but not the mobility. I have appealed and finally, after 11 months of waiting, I have my appeal date for the end of June. I'm absolutely terrified.

I lost my Motability cars following the transfer from DLA - PIP in 2014, another one in 2016 and the third car earlier this year!!
    Good luck with your appeal hearing @Barbiesnemesis.  It might not be as bad as you fear.  I got through my appeal hearing and was awarded enhanced both. 
  • BarbiesnemesisBarbiesnemesis Member Posts: 86 Pioneering
    Oh Yadnad that's awful, I'm sorry. Thank you Matilda.
    Oh Yadnad that's awful, I'm sorry. Thank you Matilda.

It was at the time, it became a joke with the Vauxhall dealership.

Looking back now, I too can see the funny side to it all. In the period from 2013 I had had the same model car but in three different colour schemes, with three different engines and three different trims!

Now the DWP are of the opinion once again that I can walk without problems and make the return journey  the length of a football pitch.
    Even the report from the hospital spinal unit that had the distance confirmed via tests on their walking machine was not accepted this time round but it was good enough for the two previous MRs'. Presumably this is because the report is now over 3 years old.
  • jenniejjenniej Member Posts: 24 Connected
    How many of you have had a f2f I have just received my pip assessment letter was given a lifetime award 15 years ago but told that does’nt matter
    You can ask for the medical reports from your DLA assessment to be taken into account in your PIP assessment. You can ask DWP for a copy of assessment report which will give a good indication of your award.

I was on indefinite DLA enhanced both components, awarded standard both components PIP, appealed and awarded enhanced both components.

Hope you get what you expect right away.
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 21,141 Disability Gamechanger
    jenniej said:
    How many of you have had a f2f I have just received my pip assessment letter was given a lifetime award 15 years ago but told that does’nt matter
    Most people have face to face assessments, its rare to have a paper based one.

DLA and PIP are different benefits. PIP is about how your conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

You'll need to wait for a decision to be made but if the report doesn't recommend an award then you can start to write the letter for the mandatory reconsideration. They usually go with the report, its rare to go against it.

For the letter you need to state where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. adding 2-3 examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you. Once the decision is made you'll have 1 month to request the MR.

If there's no PIP award your DLA will end approximately one month later. Do be aware that any other benefits you claim could also be affected by the PIP decision.

You should get some face to face advice from an agency near you. This link will help you find what's local to you.

Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
    Ty poppy for your advice
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Administrator Posts: 7,605 Scope community team
    Hello @jenniej and welcome to the community. :) Our members have a wealth of experience so if you have any questions about your face to face please don't hesitate to ask. 
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

If you have a few minutes to spare, we'd appreciate your feedback on our online community.
  • ladygonegagaladygonegaga Member Posts: 11 Courageous
    Hi, I had a life time award with DLA, middle rate care and higher rate mobility. I have MS, Fibromyalgia, high blood presure, rapid heart rate, anxiety and panic attacks. I got my PIP claim form last september, I found it very hard to understand, I had never herd the word discriptors before so had a melt down straight away. I lost the mobility part on PIP and so my mobility car was taken in  april, this I found so upsetting. My pip award is for 2 years?? I'm never getting any better, this is as good as I'm ever going to be.
    I have now got to go to court like a naughty girl.
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 21,141 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi, I had a life time award with DLA, middle rate care and higher rate mobility. I have MS, Fibromyalgia, high blood presure, rapid heart rate, anxiety and panic attacks. I got my PIP claim form last september, I found it very hard to understand, I had never herd the word discriptors before so had a melt down straight away. I lost the mobility part on PIP and so my mobility car was taken in  april, this I found so upsetting. My pip award is for 2 years?? I'm never getting any better, this is as good as I'm ever going to be.
    I have now got to go to court like a naughty girl.
    Please remember that a Tribunal is not a court and you're not on trial. It's a room with 3-4 people in it. HMCTS are totally independent to DWP and the assessors. 71% of those who appear in person have a decision in their favour.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • ladygonegagaladygonegaga Member Posts: 11 Courageous
    I understand what you say poppy12345 but for anyone that has never been to a court thats what it feels like. The tribunal is in a court, in a court room and in front of a Judge.
    @ladygonegaga

Tribunals are more informal than traditional courts.  In a meeting room not a court room.  Judge wears a business suit not a wig and gown.

Judge told me I could leave the room for a while if I needed without asking permission.  

The setting was not intimidating.  But I was grilled about my walking ability, especially by the doc.  I had to keep insisting that I could not walk farther than 20m before I needed to stop and rest.  Don't let tribunal lead you into saying you can walk farther than you can.
  • CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Community champion Posts: 5,259 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @JulieTuesday and welcome

Most people will be required to attend a f2f assessment. It is unusual for the DWP to contact your GP or other medical professionals, the onus is on you to provide the proof.
    PIP is not about diagnosis, illness or disability, it is awarded based on how your conditions affect daily activities and or mobility. It is important to understand the descriptors, criteria and points system
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
    Hi, I'm new, I have been on DLA with an indefinate length of claim, both parts at the lower level, I am a few months short of the time frame,  68yrs old,  to keep going with DLA. I have just filled in my PIP form and now worry I won't get a thing! My condition is far worse due to my age now and more medical problems, I think I said enough words to describe my problems but am terrified of a face to face meeting as I have anxiety and depression plus other illnesses. How many older people (OAP's) get their PIP without having to have one of those assessments. I sent copies of Consultants letters about my condition but some were quite old...I gave them my GP tel number he would talk to them I think., does it take a long time for them to give you a response? Thanking you in advance.
    Hi,

Most people have face to face assessments, it's rare to have a paper based one. My advice is to expect one, this way if you are sent an appointment letter then it won't be too much of a shock.

They very rarely contact anyone for any evidence, the onus is always on the claimant to prove they qualify and not their responsibility.

Waiting times for assessments depend on backlog in your area. Some wait weeks, while other wait months. Your DLA will continue until a decision's been made on the PIP. Good luck.
  • JulieTuesdayJulieTuesday Member Posts: 47 Connected
    Thank you Poppy, I'll just have to be brave then! I did send quite a few letters from three different consultants about my various medical problems. The anxiety and depression is not my major cause for a need for help here. They asked me for details to contact my GP, his telephone number,  when I first phoned them. I've been reading many comments and it seems we are all guilty until proven otherwise.  Thanks again.

• AilsAils Community champion Posts: 2,268 Disability Gamechanger
    I got switched from DLA to PIP about 4 years ago and was on standard DLA payment and then got a letter than I had to switch to PIP, but in the process I had to return my Motability car whilst the change-over was taking place.  This left me having to rely on my dad and other members of my family/friends to drive me places.  I went into hospital for surgery during this period and then had my face-to-face assessment a couple of months later.  I was then awarded Enhanced PIP which is actually more income for us now and my husband was also able to claim Carer's Allowance too.  I remember it being an absolute nightmare at the time and very upsetting at returning my car and I complained many times to DWP.  I finally got a verbal apology over the phone from a DWP manager who told me that the process should have been smoother for me, which is something I suppose!  Too many disabled people are getting treated in such an abysmal way by DWP - so unfair!  :neutral:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
    Hi all just wondering where these f2f take place I can’t walk far so need close parking anybody know the answer
    jenniej said:
    Hi all just wondering where these f2f take place I can’t walk far so need close parking anybody know the answer
    HI,

It depends on your area as all areas are different. You can check by putting your postcode into this link. Once you know which centre then you'll be able to do some research. https://www.mypipassessment.co.uk/consultation-centres/

You can ask for a home assessment.
    If a home assessment is needed, you'll need a letter from your GP stating the reasons why you can't attend the assessment centre. If you attend other appointments then this can go against you when requesting the home assessment.
    There are people who do have home assessments.
    I for one don't wish to discourage jenniej from applying as she might have a good enough case.
    I've been reading so many links and comments about having a face to face assessment, I'm like everyone I'm absolutely terrified. Not because I'm not ill but because it feels like they are testing you and trying to catch you out and you are literally fighting for your life!  anyone would feel threatened by this. Surely if you send enough good solid letters from consultants to support your claims then why is this FTF needed? 
  • FitznspatzFitznspatz Member Posts: 45 Courageous
    Without asking for one, my wife was offered a home consultation for the face to face interview. It was an offer she gratefully accepted.
    Hi all well I have posted my form for pip just have to wait now I noticed it said that I could withdraw my claim if I wanted to but why would I I have nothing to hide I think that’s what they want us to do be so afraid of a f2f that we will not send it in typical goverment
  • cristobalcristobal Member Posts: 965 Disability Gamechanger
    @Fitznspatz - I think the home visit might depend to some extent on where you live.

I live I Wales - I believe that they're more common here due to the distance that claimants might likely have to travel to the assessment.
  • CazannCazann Member Posts: 88 Pioneering
    jenniej said:
    Hi all well I have posted my form for pip just have to wait now I noticed it said that I could withdraw my claim if I wanted to but why would I I have nothing to hide I think that’s what they want us to do be so afraid of a f2f that we will not send it in typical goverment
    I have been through the F2F. Don't be afraid of it, just be yourself but be aware that they are watching your every move, from outside the building and all the time that you are there.. A lot of what was written on my report wasn't accurate but at the time, the 'nurse', who did my F2F seemed very nice. I was on DLA (high rate, indefinitely) for 13 years and had to apply for PIP. I was turned down and I am now waiting to go to a tribunal (next month)  The whole experience is very stressful but just think to yourself, that you deserve this award and you are going to see it through to the end. Good luck wiith your claim. I will report back on my results...fingers crossed! xx
  • FitznspatzFitznspatz Member Posts: 45 Courageous
    @cristobal, quite possibly. We have two assessment centres about 20 miles away and two more within a 30 mile radius.
    jenniej said:
    I posted mine 3 days ago and sent it recorded delivery, like you now a waiting game. Our nearest assessment centre is 25 miles away, but I never asked for a home visit. Wishing you much luck Jenniej 
    Thank you julieTuesday I am really nervous my daughter has to go with me as I haven’t long lost my husband I feel that they will reject my claim my daughter has moved back home to take over what her dad did for me I feel that our age range have been targeted and that we should all treated the same as far as assessments go and that’s no disrespect to anybody because we are all in the same boat nobody would claim this if we were well good luck to you Julie 
    I'm 69 yrs old and my husband is older than me, without him, I will be carted off to some care home most like!  I'll post on here as soon as I hear from them.
    I know what you mean Julie I am 67 and my husband was a gem of a man nothing was to much trouble he never complained at doing anything for me I feel as though my daughter has taken on a burden she works full time and has to come back and forth during the day  she also is not well she has been wonderful
    Doctors' letters are not enough.  PIP is not for your medical conditions but how these affect your daily living and mobility.  Check the list of descriptors on Disability Rights site.

Assessors do ask trick questions.  They might ask for how long you can walk, not how far.  Say that it takes you X minutes or seconds to walk Y meters.

They might ask if you have pets.  Looking after pets can require a high level of energy.  They might ask about hobbies. Knitting and crafts could indicate a high level of manual dexterity.

They might ask how often you drive.  Driving requires concentration, stamina and manual dexterity.  Assessor might ask if you drove yourself to the assessment.

I just thought I'd mention that I rang the number for progress on my PIP claim and was told here in the South West of UK claims are running at 8 weeks (it was 6 weeks) until you get a letter for a f2f if you have one, then another 4 weeks.   So a long wait I think to hear anything, my pip application went in on 24th June.  
    That’s that’s that’s not the case here in wales sent my form in July 1st got the letter for a home assessment at home for July 24 they must be desperate in wales to take your money and I didn’t ask for home f2f 
    You are lucky Jennie, at least it'll be over and done with for you! I have more time to worry lol
    I hope everything goes well for you Julie let you know how it goes next week fingers crossed lol
  • KG100KG100 Member Posts: 178 Pioneering
    I found the PIP assessment really easy, but it's true what people have said about being watched as soon as you arrive.
    The first thing on my report was that I heard my name being called out in the waiting room !!
    The second thing was about me walking into the interview room unaided with an altered gait.
    KG, was your assessment successful please?  I'll post on here when I get an appointment for my f2f.

• KG100KG100 Member Posts: 178 Pioneering
    I'm still waiting for my final decision, but I'm happy with what my assessors report said.
    So I'm hoping they agree with the assessor.
    Does anybody know if you can ask the hp in your assessment to take into account your claim medical report as I have a couple from previous assessments
    When I applied for PIP the DWP asked if I wanted the medical reports from my DLA claim included.   I said yes.
    I hope your assessment went OK jennie?
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Administrator Posts: 10,679 Scope community team
    How did it go @jenniej? :)
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
    Hi julie and Chloe  it was a bit nerve racking but I had a nice young man who was local he was here for 90 mins after he had finished he told me that he did not agree with pip and that some smart so and so went and changed it  I have to wait now for 4-6weeks for an answer  he told me that he had my form downloaded on his computer and so he could make sure that was what I said on my form was what I was saying to him we just have to wait now will let you know the outcome thank you all for asking and thinking of me jennie
  • Pascoe25Pascoe25 Member Posts: 10 Listener
    Honestly I can't fault the process. The waiting times are a bit annoying, but I had my assessment and 4 weeks later I had my decision 
    It doesn't sound so bad then, I really hope you are lucky and get awarded what you deserve.  I still haven't had a reply from my form being sent in, it's now a month since I sent it in, I'm hoping no news is good news and no f2f, although maybe not.. :/

Ty Julie got fingers crossed for you and me for a positive answer
  • pollyanna1052pollyanna1052 Member Posts: 1,999 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Ginger, I see your post began some time ago and wonder how you are now? Sorry if I`ve missed your outcome. I am a newbie here.
    I am 66 and have been on full DLA since 2000. I`ve been dreading the switch to PIP too.

I did go to pieces when I had the letter asking me to phone if I wanted to claim PIP. But I just wanted to get on with it once the form came. Luckily my daughter was an advisor to benefit claimants, so she filled in my form for me. It took 2 hours and I was shattered after all the questions and explanations.

I sent it back by recorded delivery for £5. It was received quickly as  could track it.
    I included the following as evidence;

Social Services care plan from 2014
    their review letter from this year
    neuro`s appointments/outcomes
    neuro`s overall letter
    district nurses catheter change record
    2 letters from my carers

I hope it was enough. Awaiting the next step now I have asked for a home f2f.
    It`s all so stressful isn`t it?

Hope you are ok xx

I sent my pip application in on 24th June and received a letter today for a f2f at home on 13th August.  I didn't ask for a f2f and even filled the relevant box area on the form that I was happy to have a f2f at an assessment office as long as there was a lift.  I can't do stairs.  Obviously, I am scared like everyone is but then I feel well, I think I'm entitled to some help, the fact the government has changed my DLA to PIP is not my fault.  It'll be interesting to know when you get your result from your home visit  Jennie.  
    You can't predict how a f2f will go.  There is advice on here about how to prepare for a f2f.

Watch out for trick questions.  Like 'have you any pets?'  Looking after pets especially dogs requires a lot of energy.

They might ask about hobbies.  Knitting, crafts and jigsaws require a lot of manual dexterity.

They might ask for how long you can walk not how far.  Say it takes you X minutes or seconds to walk Y meters.  Don't just give a time as they might think you can walk farther than you can.

They might ask how you travelled to the venue.  If someone travelled on their own by public transport of course this would indicate reasonable mobility.

They might ask about driving.  Driving a lot indicates stamina and concentration.  They might ask how far from your front door you park your car.

They'll watch how you walk from waiting area to interview room.  And if you put a bag down on the floor.
    Julie will let you know the out come I should know in September just be yourself warts and all they asked me to do certain movements and I refused on the grounds that it would hurt good luck Julie fingers crossed for you
    Hi Jennie, when the person comes to do a home f2f do they look all around your home please, I need about a month to tidy up 1st!  
    No Julie they never asked to look around they are not allowed to do that unless you give permission
  • starlight33starlight33 Member Posts: 17 Connected
    Re driving and fatigue/stamina....you could argue that you have scheduled rest breaks
    Manual dexterity.... You could have driving adaptations... Does this need to be included as extra information or not..? @ Matilda. Thanks
  • cristobalcristobal Member Posts: 965 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2019
    because otherwise assumptions will wrongly be made about dexterity and ability.

@ilovecats - you've hit the nail right on the head!

Making assumptions is a really poor way to gather information in an interview...the best way is to ask!

But I imagine that you know that now!! And your post is very informative, as always....

Thank you ladies.  It does make you feel invaded especially when you didn't request a home visit. I don't have anything to hide I just need help, I do need more grab handles fitting in my loo so maybe I'll ask when they come, I'm unable to have a bath so maybe they can advise me there. Thank you again.   
Sign in or join us to comment.