Employment (Much easier if you're able bodied) — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Employment (Much easier if you're able bodied)

Options
Roug3_D3mon99
Roug3_D3mon99 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I was sent to 2 separate Remploy locations once before Christmas at the Walthamstow Branch but I wasn't able to have an interview as the lift wasn't working (not in service) and no one contacted me beforehand to let me know so another appointment was sent for me today at their Caledonian Road Branch but once again when I turned up to my surprise the lift was "out of service" again... To say I am (insert expletive) off is understatement - I just feel there isn't any real help or concrete insentive, understanding and disabled people are a burden/made to jump through so many hoops to get anywhere.
Contated DEA and It's goes without saying I won't be using them again and would recommend them either (I am not the only one who feels this way and has bad experiences with Remploy).

Comments

• iza
    iza Scope Member Posts: 703 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi sorry to hear your bad experience. Think positive next time can be better (however, put an official complain - let them know they failed.)

• mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    Options
    Hang on,  aren't remploy supposed to specialize in employing employees with disabilities?!  We don't have a remploy near us so don't know much about them but wouldn't having a lift by a flipping basic?! 

Crikey  makes me cross,  you must be fuming! 

Have you been in touch with them since? I agree be positive... But your time and efforts are too valuable to be going to interviews that the employer can't follow through on because they have equipment (lift)  that they haven't repaired.  

Especially somewhere that claims equality! 
  • rosscolfc
    rosscolfc Community member Posts: 26 Courageous
    Options
    I have to say, and I've first hand experience of this, yes we have rights as a disabled person and yes employees have obligations to do things, but in the real world of work. It just doesn't happen! 

Obviously in in interviews you have to disclose your disability to get the help you need to do the job but as soon as you do many backward thinking firms cross you off the list there and then. 

Ive had interviews, and I've an "invisible disability" as soon as its mentioned the questions start flying and before you know it your a burden not an asset. 
    one interview I was even asked how regularly I have hospital appointment when I said I'm currently having physio every Monday for 1/2 hour I could see "the look"

Ive a degree in graphics, a masters in advertising and 12 years experience with top brands but I struggled to get a job as a local entry level designer for a family firm as it was clear they had no interest in hiring someone who'd have to miss 30mins of a Monday morning! 

I feel for everyone trying to get work with a disability, yes the rules of law are there, but no one can actually police them. It's disgraceful. 
  • Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    Options
    I've had an application form where it demanded to know what prescription drugs I took.

When I told them it was illegal to do so they said I must have something to hide :/

Good luck trying to win an Employment Tribunal which now charges a fee.
  • rosscolfc
    rosscolfc Community member Posts: 26 Courageous
    Options
    I've had an application form where it demanded to know what prescription drugs I took.

When I told them it was illegal to do so they said I must have something to hide :/

Good luck trying to win an Employment Tribunal which now charges a fee.
    Good point I'd forgotten, when I was made redundant my redundancy was less than the legal fees to challenge. So I had to weigh up losing my redundancy against a multi million pound company who could afford good legal defence or just me representing myself... I had to think of my family, took my redundancy and took it on the chin :(

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.