If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

How can I apply for higher rate DLA

leoness1leoness1 Posts: 1Member Listener
edited January 10 in Ask a benefits advisor
Hi im 62 have fibromyalgia and arthritic bursar's. ...I only get care allowed e of dla how can I apply for a higher rate


  • izaiza Posts: 326Member, Community champion Chatterbox
    Hi Leoness 1 please contact the adviser directly or call the scope for more advise. 
  • Sam_ScopeSam_Scope Posts: 3,352Administrator Scope community team
    Hi @leoness1 welcome to the community.  There is lots of information about DLA here.  I believe that if your care needs to be reassessed whilst on DLA that you may be potentially moved on to PIP.

    "Personal Independence Payments (PIP) were introduced in 2013 to replace Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

    Existing Disability Living Allowance claimants are only reassessed if:

    • An existing DLA claimant’s fixed-term award is ending soon.
    • The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) receives information about a change in their care or mobility.

    From October 2015 all working-age people still receiving DLA will be reassessed and if their claim is successful, moved onto PIP." 

    You can read more about PIP here.

  • nanof6nanof6 Posts: 161Member Chatterbox
    hi, the way things are looking id stay on what you are getting till you are called to change to pip,
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Posts: 1,534Member, Community advisor Chatterbox
    Hi Leoness1

    Sam_Scope is right, it is no longer possible to increase a DLA award. The only option would be to apply for PIP which can be quite high risk. As Sam says you could have a look at the PIP pages - and by all means get back to us if you have any unanswered questions.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Will Hadwen
    Lee Kempson
    Jayne Knights
    Mary Shone
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland

  • JackieJackie Posts: 24Member Whisperer

    Hi Leoness1

    Just another quick bit of advice, if you click on the following link it will take you to the CAB website which gives more information on how to complete a PIP form. It  gives good examples of which boxes to tick depending on your ability to care for yourself and get about/move around. Like others have commented, however, most people are being advised to be extremely cautious about applying for PIP while still in receipt of DLA as the criteria is much stricter:

    http:/// https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/help-with-your-pip-claim/fill-in-form/


  • MatildaMatilda Posts: 1,345Member Chatterbox
    Also look at the PIP section on the Disability Rights website.
Sign in or join us to comment.