How can I apply for higher rate DLA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How can I apply for higher rate DLA

Options
leoness1
leoness1 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited January 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi im 62 have fibromyalgia and arthritic bursar's. ...I only get care allowed e of dla how can I apply for a higher rate

Comments

• iza
    iza Scope Member Posts: 703 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Leoness 1 please contact the adviser directly or call the scope for more advise. 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @leoness1 welcome to the community.  There is lots of information about DLA here.  I believe that if your care needs to be reassessed whilst on DLA that you may be potentially moved on to PIP.

"Personal Independence Payments (PIP) were introduced in 2013 to replace Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

Existing Disability Living Allowance claimants are only reassessed if:

• An existing DLA claimant’s fixed-term award is ending soon.
    • The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) receives information about a change in their care or mobility.

From October 2015 all working-age people still receiving DLA will be reassessed and if their claim is successful, moved onto PIP." 

You can read more about PIP here.

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • nanof6
    nanof6 Community member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    Options
    hi, the way things are looking id stay on what you are getting till you are called to change to pip,
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Leoness1

Sam_Scope is right, it is no longer possible to increase a DLA award. The only option would be to apply for PIP which can be quite high risk. As Sam says you could have a look at the PIP pages - and by all means get back to us if you have any unanswered questions.

David
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Jackie
    Jackie Community member Posts: 24 Connected
    Options

Hi Leoness1

Just another quick bit of advice, if you click on the following link it will take you to the CAB website which gives more information on how to complete a PIP form. It  gives good examples of which boxes to tick depending on your ability to care for yourself and get about/move around. Like others have commented, however, most people are being advised to be extremely cautious about applying for PIP while still in receipt of DLA as the criteria is much stricter:

http:/// https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/help-with-your-pip-claim/fill-in-form/

Jackie

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Also look at the PIP section on the Disability Rights website.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.