Night terrors — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Night terrors

ClaireW79
ClaireW79 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
This discussion was created from comments split from: Ask a Sleep Practitioner.

Comments

• ClaireW79
    Hi, my son, 7, has Williams Syndrome and has been having night terrors for quite a while now (about July). He wakes at least once a night, usually around the same time.

I know that these are definitely night terrors and not nightmares as he has had them previously. However, in the past he has usually stopped after a couple of weeks.

I just wondered the best way to approach these to try to prevent them. I did try waking him up gently last night about 15 mins before he usually wakes to break the cycle but I frightened him as I think he was in quite a deep sleep.

He also has problems falling asleep and needs one of us to stay upstairs until he is, or almost, asleep.

Thanks for your help!

Claire
  • SleepPractitioners
    SleepPractitioners Community member Posts: 41 Courageous
    Hi @ClaireW79
    You said you woke your son 15 mins before the terror last night, try 30 mins before tonight you are just looking to change the cycle he is in rather than wake him fully, so a gentle nudge should do it.
    Good luck
    Max x
  • ClaireW79
    Thanks Max, will try that as I was waking him up fully!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.