Attendance Allowance — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Attendance Allowance

Options
Strawberry47
Strawberry47 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
i had Bowel Cancer in 2009 when I was 62 but didn't claim DLA.  Now at 69, although I am cancer free (cross fingers), I am beginning to experience many age/stress related problems.  I checked Attendance Allowance notes and it stated that I did not need to actually have physical help in order to claim. I filled in the form and have been rejected on the grounds I did not prove I needed help!  I have appealed and requested a assessment but am still awaiting a reply. I checked the PIP checklist and I scored 8 on the care list.  What more can I do please?

Comments

• ScopeHelpline
    ScopeHelpline Community member Posts: 207 Courageous
    Options
    Hi Strawberry47

It isn't always easy to get an award of Attendance Allowance. The benefit is paid to the most disabled people, namely those who need help with their personal care. As you suggest, this doesn' t need to be physical help but it does need to be help with personal care, so for example, it would be help to communicate or to mix with other people or to deal with business letters.

The general principle is that to qualify for Attendance Allowance,  a person would need to require frequent help from another person during the day, or during the night, or or both day and night. 

I hope this throws some light on the issue.  Call the Helpline if you need more detail or would like to discuss whether it's likely that you would qualify. We are on 0808 800 3333 from 9 to 5 week-days.

Best wishes
    Gill
    Scope Helpline

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.