Can I claim anything other than what I'm on? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can I claim anything other than what I'm on?

Options
maggiew
maggiew Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi I am 78 years young..I was diagnosed with osteoporosis 18 months ago ..I had 14 spinal wedge fractures. Lost 3inches in height..also my mobility and have to rely on my partner now..I am self funding with a physio every month. I get mobility allowance and top rate care..I own my own home. .i have never claimed anything ever...I need to get some independence back and my life...I don't have any dimly only one son and a grandson. ..can anyone advise me if I can claim anything other than what I am on..

Comments

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options

Hi maggiew,

The usual benefits someone of your age could claim would be state pension and pension credit. Pension credit does depend on your overall income and savings though (but not the value of your house). You might also qualify for some help with council tax - you should already by getting a 25% discount if you live alone.

Because of your disabilities you would normally claim attendance allowance but I think you are already claiming something called disability living allowance. It might be worth checking you are getting the maximum rates for both care and mobility but you can't get attendance allowance as well.

Your local Age UK branch will be able to do a full benefits check for you if you call them. Very often they can come and visit you at home. It's really worth checking with them that you are getting all the help you should be,

Best wishes,

Michael

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.