Seeking Employment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Seeking Employment

salwil89
salwil89 Community member Posts: 56 Courageous
I would like to know the scope of employment opportunities for disabled people. I have a mobility problem and I am able to move around outdoors on a mobility scooter, whilst indoors, I use either a walking stick or a pair of crutches.  Any suggestions please?

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    I think that Job Centres have disability employment advisers - but Job Centres only handle a limited range of vacancies.
  • salwil89
    Oh right! Well thanks for that. I shall keep your tip in mind.  :)
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    edited January 2017
    Hi @salwil89

What sort of work are you interested in? Something office based ? Working at home?
  • salwil89
    Hi Alex. I do secretarial/admin/reception/Girl Friday work. I have a broad range of skills. I am available to work from home for the moment and would consider office based work depending on its location. I have not worked in an office for a long time so I would need to carefully migrate back into that environment but in any event I would certainly welcome the opportunity.
  • salwil89
    edited February 2017
    Hi @Alex

I do secretarial/admin/reception/Girl Friday work. I have a broad range of skills. I am available to work from home for the moment and would consider office based work depending on its location. I have not worked in an office for a long time so I would need to carefully migrate back into that environment but in any event I would certainly welcome the opportunity.
  • carebear2017
    carebear2017 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    hi im on income support im wanting to get back into work but have no job references  asked about doing voluntary work but was told that i have to fill a form out from income support and this depends on the hours i also do can any adivse me thanks for your replys
  • salwil89
    @carebear2017 With regards to references, I know for a fact that the DWP are the ones to do this on your behalf because you have been on income and support. You should speak to your advisor about this.  Very often voluntary work can lead on to become permanent employment (I gather you know this already). Also you need to do a minimum of 4 hours a week of voluntary work for it to become a recognized commitment.  Good luck!
  • carebear2017
    carebear2017 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    thanks for your reply no i didnt know they give a job reference out i was just thinking it be a good way  to go back into work  dose it matter that my husband claims income support for us both ?. thank you for your replay

• salwil89
    I suggest you contact your advisor at the Job Centre. I am in no position to advise you on this. I fail to see how your husband claiming makes a difference but you need to contact someone for further advice.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.