Help with new project — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help with new project

Options
gauntlet
gauntlet Community member Posts: 8 Listener

Hi, I am a volunteer at a charity called Gauntlet Auto Project. I would like to hear your opinions on a project I am trying to get off the ground. I am setting up a quad / motorcycle experience for disabled young people {11 - 25 yrs}, initially, using low powered and relatively slow machines. The motorbike would have stabalisers and the quad would have a seat with a high back and harness. (plans are to have a second quad with a long seat, to double up, so a carer or volunteer could be strapped to the rider/passenger). There could also be rides for young carers, (11 - 16 yrs) to let off steam.

Do you think this would be something that young disabled people would like to participate in?        

I would really appreciate your feedback, as I need all the written support I can get.

Regards, Roger.

Comments

• Blue Frog
    Blue Frog Community member Posts: 358 Pioneering
    Options
    That sounds like an absolutely fantastic idea  B)
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Many young disabled people have the same interests as their peers, so definitely a great idea.

I love the idea that you are looking to include young carers, hopefully your local council will have things in place including activities, if they do you could ask to give a presentation your ideas and get a more hand on response from young carers themselves. Carers UK I am sure will be happy to offer their thoughts on this idea. Your local library should be able to supply a list of local organisations and support groups for young disabled people.

One concern I do have with your idea is strapping someone into a quad bike, or another person, would be safety concerns if the quad bike does tip over. This would need to be addressed  even at low speeds.

If you are looking for evidence to present the idea to the board, or others, look at other pieces of evidence too. These should include the council's youth strategy which can be found on the council website. the governments neighbourhood statistics at http://www.neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk/dissemination/. These should allow you to show how your project ties in with local priorities and marry them with the aims of the organisation, and help to gain local support via councillors and others. This would also help in identifying funding sources.

Another very useful source for promoting ideas is the use of studies. Baranado's 'I Want to Play Too' www.barnardos.org.uk/i_want_to_play.pdf

The above can help in using phrases that will resonate with those you are trying to promote the idea to, as well as showing why there is a genuine need. There are others.

I appreciate, and know from experience, this can be time consuming but I have also found a well constructed argument at least gets the idea listened too in the first place and not quickly dismissed. It would also be a huge help if given the go ahead but extra funding was needed.

Finally I would also look at the outcomes for young disabled people who are given access to activities they may not normally have access too. This does not have to be with quad bikes and motor bikes, but could be sourced from other areas, such as horse riding, to illustrate how disabled people benefit from such activities and why it is important to them, Many of the benefits will be the same, and would make a good ending as in conclusion it would focus the audience's attention on the potential benefits to the young people.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• gauntlet
    Options
    Thank you #Geoark for your comments, they are really helpful. I have printed them off for future reference.
  • bubbly
    bubbly Scope Volunteer Posts: 26 Connected
    Options
    Sounds a brilliant idea. My only question would be abut the safety of it all if people are strapped on!
  • gauntlet
    Options
    Hi #bubbly, thanks for your comments. I did wonder about the straps, but some feedback I had said they would only feel safe if they were strapped to someone or something. I guess it will be down to personal preference, or health and safety. I will certainly investigate all options.
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Health and safety should always be the first concern, followed by what the charity's insurance will and will not cover.

The second may be the bigger of the two problems. Health and safety is more about risk assessment and mitigating or managing that risk. Physically reducing and limiting the speed, a course which would be extremely easy to navigate may go a long way. But being strapped to someone or to the vehicle, while the actual risk of toppling the quad bike would be low the damage could be high.

You would need to assess how being strapped to another person may restrict movement or cause discomfort for the passenger.

Regarding the quad bike toppling, a stabiliser wheel on each side would greatly reduce the risk, but again you would need to assess the risk to the person being strapped to, as they may need to manage the weight of the other person as well.

I am a great believer that with the right people and open minds solutions can be found for challenges.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.