If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Has anyone had Amitriptyline for pain relief?

MolMol Posts: 48Member Whisperer
I have been given Amitriptyline tablets to take for Arthritic pain relief, Can anyone tell me if they are good?

Replies

• mumof3boysmumof3boys Posts: 223Member Chatterbox
    @Mol

Hi I was given that but had a back reaction,so I'm now on gaberpentin,it numbs the nerve receptors even though it's also prescribed as a antidepressant.......give a go if you feel worst then tell the Dr...
  • MolMol Posts: 48Member Whisperer
    Thank you mumof3boys
  • FundamentalistFundamentalist Posts: 134Member Talkative
    Hi from Fm. I'm glad someone brought this up. I'd like to give a bit of a warning about these pills based on my own experience. Last year (2016) I had to take them for a serious pain in my leg which was so bad I couldn't walk without crutches unless I took the pills as ordinary pain killers like paracetamol wouldn't have any effect. But amitriptyline caused me to absolutely MASSIVELY overheat to the point where I absolutely couldn't stop absolutely drowning in extreme sweat and I had to strip to the waist when just about everyone else was wrapped up like an eskimo so I had to reduce the dose from one a night to only one a week! And they finally worked and when I ran out of them in November I stopped taking them and this time the pain didn't return but I was still seriously overheating and sweating profusely if I tried to do even trivial little jobs. Overheating is listed among the possible side effects but it's a serious understatement as in my case it went absolutely berserk and my temperature went right off the scale. So be warned, take these pills with serious caution. Fm.
  • MolMol Posts: 48Member Whisperer
    Thanks Fundamenthtalist, I have tried Gabapentin which made me go zombified, every other pain killer I have taken has not worked. I will take one tablet tonight and see what reaction I get. Thank you for the warning about overheating.
  • kevstar1kevstar1 Posts: 6Member Listener
    I am gabapentin amatriptyline tramadol and flouxatine but not touching the pain seeing the doctor again soon see what he can do 
    @kevstar1

I'm not surprised there not working there all counter reacting against each other..
    @kevstar1

https://www.drugs.com

Go to this link and check your meds against each other..
Sign in or join us to comment.