If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Vulnerable adult

chris62chris62 ListenerPosts: 1Member Listener
I am helping a 45yr old man, who is, in my opinion, undiagnosed aspergers. I am basing this on diagnosed members of my family. He refuses to go and get diagnosed because he is convinced that he will be locked up in a 'nuthouse'. His mother, my friend, did evrything for him but she died last March so I'm trying to help him pay bills etc. and to be here when he gets frantic because everything is too hard or going wrong.
People take advantage of him all the time and it was one of them that told him this to stop him getting help. please has anyone any suggestions about a way I can put it to him to get the financial help he needs among other things.... Cx

Replies

• bambam Pioneering Posts: 331Member Pioneering
    Hello @chris62 welcome to the community Chris. It's a very loving community with a lot of great people in it. I think that is extremely admirable that you're helping your deceased friend's son. I honestly think you should just make the appointment for him and take him there. He probably is a little afraid to do it himself. Maybe you should try to make it as easy for him as possible for him so he doesn't feel overwhelmed and get frustrated. I think it's really great that you help him out but maybe you can just do a little more and help him secure some kind of future for himself.
  • Sam_ScopeSam_Scope Scope community team Posts: 7,647Administrator Scope community team
    hI @chris62 Welcome to the community, this sounds like a really difficult situation and one you could do with support with.  Perhaps you could get in touch with Social Services and get an assessment of his needs
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • mossycowmossycow Pioneering Posts: 486Community champion Pioneering
    Hi there, 
    Lovely to meet you, and wow, you are a wonderful friend. 

I agree with social services though some people (like me!) find that term a bit scary. They are now known as occupational therapy which I think is much more comfortable. They can come to the house which might be easier for him too. 

Age UK might be worth a call. I'm 37 and they helped me! With social things, very gentle ease you into it type things..... 

And yes, you will find lots of support and ideas here. Do pop back! 

"I'm trying to live like a random poem I read that ended 'to bloom where we are planted"

Sign in or join us to comment.