SDP PIP — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

SDP PIP

Nicky21
Nicky21 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited February 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I put in for sdp and a lady rang me to say I could not have it, said I have a man living with me. I do not, and live alone.
I am classed has blind, and have just got full PIPs on both for 10+
I had a telephone interveiw and was told all was fine.
I have heard nothing since, but to scared now to put in  for it again. I am 67 and the lady was very nasty and rude.

Comments

• Nicky21
    Help With This Please
  • Ajk110
    Ajk110 Community member Posts: 47 Courageous

Welcome. I'm sorry that this happened to you. Did you get the lady's name? I think it is always good to find out who you are talking to because it allows you to highlight good and poor service.

Anyway, you have nothing to lose for trying to claim again, particularly if you feel that your living arrangements have been inaccurately recorded.

If you have further questions, we have a dedicated forum area for questions to a benefits advisor. Link is:

https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-a-benefits-advisor

You also say that you are blind. You may find help from RNIB, or your local visually impaired society. Let us know how you get on.

Best wishes,

Aidan

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Nicky21 welcome to the community, I am sorry to hear you had such a bad experience.  I don't think people understand just how upsetting it can be to be on the other side of a call with someone who isnt empathetic. 

I have moved your post to the 'ask a benefits advisor' category and hope they will be able to offer support alongside our members too.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Nicky21
    Thank You. I never got chance to get her name, my son answered and just passed the phone to me.
    I will try RNIB, Vista do not do anything like this.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi Nicky21

We see lots of errors made with the severe disability premium, I'm afraid. If you get a qualifying benefit, live alone or treated as living alone, and no-one gets carer's allowance for caring for you - then you are eligible for the premium.

You can ask over the phone for the SDP to be included but it may be a good idea to back it up in writing. If the DWP has made an error it may be that they owe you for the past period and it can amount to a large payment of arrears, so don't give up!

The usual practice is for the DWP to send a form (IS10) on which you are asked to confirm a number of things including your living arrangements. A decision should then follow. If the decision is that you don't qualify for the SDP you have a right to ask for a mandatory reconsideration. If the decision is still not changed to your satisfaction you then have a right to appeal to an independent tribunal.

If you have not had a written decision since your request for the SDP then you should call/write to the DWP again and ask for a written decision. When you've got the written decision let us know and we will be able to advise further.

David
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.