Carer's allowance
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Keep on top of what's being talked about in our recent discussions and have your say!

Mum recieved PIP, dad has applied for carer's allowance

grunwiggrunwig Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited February 2017 in Carer's allowance
Hi my mum has just been allowed pip and my dad has applied to get carers the letter he received said he can have carers but because his pension he cannot it also says he can apply for pension credits can anyone help and explain what this is 

Replies

• Castleford1Castleford1 Member Posts: 61 Courageous
    If you are on State Retirement Pension you cannot claim Carers Allowance as well but you have what they claim is an underlying claim for Carers Allowance.  My Carers Allowance for my daughter stopped when I went onto State Pension, unfair I know but that's how it is.  Pension Credit is an amount of money you can claim to top up State Pension, means tested based on your particular financial situation.  Worth giving it a try.
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Hi grunwig,

What Castleford1 says is right - you can't get carer's allowance if you are getting state retirement pension. It's still worth having claimed carer's allowance though because it can make pension credit worth more.

Pension credit is based on income, and it will take both your dad's and mum's income into account, but it will ignore the PIP itself. It's well worth applying, although whether they are entitled will depend on the overall picture (for example, whether your dad also has any work or private pensions). 

If they are entitled, they can backdate the benefit (get it from before they claimed) for up to 3 months. You can contact a local branch of Age UK or the CAB to do a benefits check for them, so that they know if they will definitely get this help. 

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • andstepandstep Member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hi i lost my D.L.A. and have gone onto the PIP but have lost the higher rate by two points.  My husband has applied for carer's allowance but gets nothing as our pensions are two much.  Its' so confusing as he is has it but cannot have the money ? Have rang the Pension credit and they said we are entitled to nothing. I have had to apply for a loan from the bank in order to stay mobile and hoped that this would help to pay for it.  

• wildlifewildlife Member Posts: 1,316 Pioneering
    edited April 2017
    @andstep Your husband has the "underlying entitlement" to carer's allowance which does have some advantages. You can get a lot off your council tax, we get a £900 reduction per year off ours. Also if you're in council housing you can get more off your rent. To do this you need to take proof of your entitlement into your local council offices and they will sort it out for you. Also if you have the moving around mobility component 8 points or more you can get 50% off your car tax per year.
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Hi andstep,

If your husband is getting state retirement pension, then like wildlife says it may be too much for him to get carer's allowance as well (your pension shouldn't come into it, but his would). 

Wildlife is right that the 'underlying entitlement' can be useful, but if you both have pensions, that could be why you can't get pension credit. You might want to double check the decision using an online calculator though, for example the one provided by  Age UK  or you could see if they have a local office where you could get it checked.

It's well worth checking if you can get help with the council tax by contacting your local authority (council), or help with your rent via housing benefit. The tip about road tax is a good one too - 50% off is better than nothing.

Finally, you might consider whether you want to challenge that PIP decision, by asking the DWP for a mandatory reconsideration (if you are within a month of the decision), or getting advice if it's more than a month ago - you might be able to get it changed.

Will 
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • andstepandstep Member Posts: 6 Listener
    thank you have already tried pension credit but thats a no go. Had to accept PIP because I live in a village without public transport so just accepted the money from Motability and bought a car need the transport.  If i had been 1 year older I would have stayed on mobility.I have a friend who like me also lost her mobility and she is a similar age . I wonder how many in my age bracket have lost theirs too.  Still on the bright side If I dent my car or scratch it its mine so no need to worry anymore.. I have taken proof of husbands care allowance to the council offices and am waiting to hear from them but not holding out any hope.
Sign in or join us to comment.