I went to a speech and Language school — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I went to a speech and Language school

Options
Harp
Harp Community member Posts: 83 Pioneering
edited October 2021 in Sensory impairments
I went to a speech & Language school for 8 years in the 80's where the disabled was still hidden away.  

Without the school, I won't be where I am now and hoping this might help others.

I was born with speech and language, balance and coordination problems. Also I have sight problems, Coloboma, Nystagmus, squint, and a lazy eye.

I went to local special school which did all kind of disability and use to goto a speech & Language clinic but it wasn't enough. It took my parents a long time to getting me in the speech and language school and I glad they did.

The school did wonders for my speech, but there are pro's and cons to special schools. 

Since I board there for 8 years, when i left and went back home to my parents, I got no friends locally, but the biggest issues was, that the school wrpapped us in cotton to keep us safe from the real world.  It was a shock to me when i was adjusting my life with the safe walls of the school, how mean the real world was.

The big issues was for many years, I did understand things but people didn't let me have my say or make my own diecisions for myself. I felt I was living in a bubble, and I felt there was something that might connected all my issues up, When i tried to expliain it to parents, it got rubbished

About 5 years ago, I came across Dyspraxia, and that when I started to understand my life and why things happened, 1 example of this was, When I was at the speech & language school, my gran died but I wasn't allowed to go to the funernal because my parents said that I don't understand.  Since I was upset and angry at the time, I could't get out to say I want to make sure my gran have a safe journey.  I had to llive with that pain in me all my life.

I have started to find out if I have Dyspraxia, thou many have told me it take a long time.

This is only brief look into my world, there is too much to put here, but i have started to write a book.

I have set up facebook pages, 1 Voice and 1 Voice jr, for those who have a communication issue or people who look after them to help each other out to show the world how to communicate to everyone.
https://www.facebook.com/1Voice.Vision.of.the.heart/
Everyone has the right to have a say in what ever method they use

Comments

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.