Wrong Impression About Autism — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Wrong Impression About Autism

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
edited February 2017 in Autism and neurodiversity
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 210 Listener
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    What I love about this community is that there are so many members with such different experiences that you can learn something new every day and see things from a different perspective. 

From a neuro typical point of view, I hadnt even thought of it like this @DannyMoore so thank you for making me think!  I don't associate anger with autism but I see your point that often we talk about the most difficult issues we are facing and so that can then come across that all people with an ASD diagnosis have anger issues which though untrue and not my thoughts, must be really frustrating to read about.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • [Deleted User]
  • joannarashelle
    joannarashelle Community member Posts: 135 Pioneering
    Also, children with autism may appear aggressive when they feel their needs aren't being heard or met, so they get frustrated (naturally, wouldn't anyone?) which can result in what seems like aggression. 

But, let's face it. When anyone isn't understood and they're constantly being misinterpreted or misread don't we all get irritated? 

It's even harder for a child with autism to express themselves in a way that others can comprehend or are willing to actually understand! 

All it takes is patience and time. 

And love xxx

• [Deleted User]
  • joannarashelle
    Hi @DannyMoore I get you big time. 

You know what?
    Thank goodness there are people who think outside the box. To make up for the ones that just see things under their noses 
  • Ariel
    Ariel Community member Posts: 16 Courageous
    edited February 2017

Things like this (just shared by a FB friend) don't help the situation, of course.

Autism as when a child 'misbehaves'?

'Peppa Pig is one of the main causes of autism'?

Certainly makes it sound as though it's an illness that causes naughty children, and that you somehow catch through your TV set.

And you can look at it and laugh. It's ridiculous. It's impossible to imagine that anyone would believe it. And yet, I have FB friends that share this stuff with no hint that they're joking.
  • joannarashelle
    Hi @Ariel how ridiculous and somewhat sad really..

Good to know that social media is as factually informative as ever..!
  • [Deleted User]
    edited February 2017
  • [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
  • davidj49
    davidj49 Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
    This is my opinion...Aspergers  and high functioning Autism must be brought back, and used if someone meets the criteria for a positive diagnosis for Aspergers or HFA.

People think of Rain Man, or that all Autists must be in need of full-time care, and that we rock back and forth all the time whilst shouting and scaring people. We must be unemployable, or undateable, and then there is Tommy from First Dates Hotel, society thinks he is typical of someone Autistic.

So now I don't tell people my diagnosis anymore due to Aspergers not being correctly portrayed in the media.

• davidj49
    davidj49 Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
    Aggression nothing to do with autism,is it @DannyMoore..my son is so quiet he walks past me like a ninja in training...lol
    Yes, Autistic kids are little angels..highly sensitive and shy, easy to bully and manipulate, this carries on into adulthood.

Aggression is part of a condition that people think must be Autism, but Autism is generally without aggression/violence, there are exceptions.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.