Immune to Psychology — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Immune to Psychology

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• joannarashelle
    joannarashelle Community member Posts: 135 Pioneering
    Hi @DannyMoore just read your post I found it both thought provoking and so interesting, nodding my head all the way through!

I have always thought people in general are like robots, if one does it they all do it, almost robotically too!

Since I can remember friends and boyfriends have called me a "free spirit" and have often tried to tell me how to behave for what I can only assume is for fear of people watching, ie I love to run down the sand dunes love to paddle in the sea in winter love to stand and gasp at geese or swans flying overhead with the haunting beautiful noise their wings make; people constantly tell me I'm brave to fulfill my love of dogs and understanding of them, to go it totally alone how I wish I could do it etc etc yet to me it just came naturally?  

We are constantly being told to be authentic be ourselves channel our inner child etc etc, isnt that what we with ASD already do??!!

I do struggle with feeling frightened in our big world I must admit.
    Oh yes I love our world! To be in it in its natural beauty gives me an adrenalin buzz I don't get from artificial surroundings. I like to be outdoors. Amongst trees mountains the sea sand forests waterfalls seeing the stars and the moon and the sun, feeling rain on my face the wind in my hair.

But because I'm so sensitive and tuned, I feel peoples energies and emotions and it scares me, aggression rudeness bad manners noise you know what I mean.
    So I end up fleeing which can mean staying in my home my safe place.

I think people on the 'spectrum' could teach others a thing or two.

BE YOURSELF whatever makes you feel joy in your heart.

Don't follow the herd. They might not know where they're going.

Make your own path xxx
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
  • joannarashelle
    Indeed @DannyMoore!

Viva la difference as they say. 

But alas people can fear what they perceive as 'different', they don't understand it or even worse don't try to. 

We are all different yet equal. 

I find people who are 'different' more interesting full of colour and vibe, but then I was brought up in a household with an Anglo Indian Dad and an Anglo Russian mum, my Dad was Catholic my mum Jewish! 

So from childhood I knew about differences; I'm a 70's child there were few mixed marriages I was the only child I knew to have a white mum and brown Dad but you know what?
    I thought it was normal!

I didn't know it was 'different' til I was about 11 when I started getting called names and I saw my mum get spat on. 

My Dad said to feel sorry for the bullies and I never could. 
    I hated the way they made me feel. 

But it's true. We should try to feel sorry for them. 

Because they live in a world where things must be very dull indeed, everything the same is that what they want? 

To feel threatened by something or someone that is different to themselves?

How insecure it must be, but then that's where prejudices derive 

Viva la difference, all as one

Big small brown white cerebral palsy multiple sclerosis autism Tourette's hearing impaired albino working class middle class woman man gay straight Catholic Muslim who gives a damn, as long as we are decent caring compassionate human beings I don't care.

Sadly I feel prejudice will never cease.
    Human nature.

Thats why I work with animals!!! 
  • [Deleted User]
  • joannarashelle
    I've also unfortunately met bullies, they come in many disguises! 

Bullied as a child I remember not telling anybody certainly not my parents, thought it was what happened to you! 
    I remember my older sister being bullied outside school when I was about 7, I took a thump for her in the stomach and from that day I despised bullies. 
    They seemed to be so different to my parents, I was taught to be kind and pleasant and thoughtful. And when we are like this with others it makes us feel good! 

But bullies enjoy being nasty that's why I've never understood them. 

I'm a Dog Psychologist I work with troubled dogs and make them better and more balanced, by way of advising their owners. 

When working with a pack I won't tolerate bullying. And believe me dogs have an excuse they work on instincts. 

But people do not. 

And all that rubbish about bullies being bullied themselves at school why should that make them go on and do it??

Sorry I'm going on a bit but I won't ever understand bullies, and I feel for those who are bullied I will stop in my car (and have done!) if I see a child being bullied or a dog being hit. 

Bullying is never carried out by people who are strong (and by that I mean inner strength) 

Really good chatting with you @DannyMoore
    I've never spoken like this to anyone and it helps me 

• raspberry_eyes
    raspberry_eyes Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I also feel like I resonate with the posts i've seen here quite a bit. I'm diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome and I guess this is why I've always been very uninhibited in social situations - often to the extent that I go overboard and start embarrassing my friends. This can be problematic as I don't usually find out until they're able to tell me how it made them feel later on in private. Thankfully at the ripe old age of 29 I've finally found some friends who are as resilient to public humiliation as I am, still - it was a long and rocky journey getting there!
    Does anyone have any ideas what it is about the autistic personality that makes it a prime target for bullying? I know i'm not alone in saying this, but I've had to put up with it in some shape or form through every stage of my life - Primary School, High School, My first real Job, and even now, just when I thought I was about to Settle into my new town, someone spreads an evil unfounded rumour across the whole locale using facebook - I guess the only time I was spared this kind of treatment was at University, which I can only assume has been sprinkled with some kind of special respect gravity - I guess I only wish I chose a more useful subject so I could have stayed on for a graduate degree. I suppose it's all got something to do with my tendency of attracting so much attention to myself.... Even though It's not intentional, I've come to learn that some people really hate anyone who could be classified as an attention seeker. Does anyone else have any other ideas why autistic personalities so often seem to be the target of mistreatment and bullying?

• joannarashelle
    Hello @raspberry_eyes I think you may have hit on a really valid point re people not liking attention seekers, we with ASD don't intentionally seek attention (quite the reverse in fact) but the way we can be open and quite childlike in many ways (which I think is a good thing!) can provoke some who feel we are too loud or 'out there' or as you say attention seeking. 

Which actually we're not being we're just being ourselves. 
    And also it seems that we don't conform (hurrah) and this in itself can make others feel threatened; some want to break the mould and can't so they target those that do. 

And of course anyone who is 'different' gets targeted, we can have quite dynamic personalities and others don't like this, maybe it makes them feel inadequate I really don't know!

Just know that you're not alone and there are people who understand and can help you feel ok and safe in what can be scary situations and life's events 

xxx
  • [Deleted User]
    edited February 2017

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.