Buying a scooter — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Buying a scooter

bashiraq
bashiraq Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I;m looking for grant to buy scooter for my disabled mum 

Comments

• GeoffBosworth195661
    GeoffBosworth195661 Community member Posts: 161 Pioneering
    Hello @bashiraq it is not clear about if your mum is on high rate disability if so your mum can have a mobility scooter from the disability money. Also your mum is she at the moment in a wheelchair and get it from the NHS then your mum with good reason ask at hospital to exchange to a NHS scooter but these are limited and high priority only. Scope may pass on further information to share with you    
  • bashiraq
    bashiraq Community member Posts: 2 Listener
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Hi Bashiraq,

Here's some advice from @DebbieVoakes that might help:

Statutory government funding is provided via the Motability Scheme but if you're already on the scheme and leasing a car this isn't going to be an option for you.
    Charitable funding could help with the purchase of a scooter though and I would recommend trying the grants database on www.turn2us.org.uk which comprises of around 3000 charities offering grants.
    Do also check with the Mobility Trust as to whether they can help you with funding for a scooter and also Friends of the Elderly. Your local Age UK service may also be able to advise you about local funding options too.

Read more at https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/30412/is-there-any-government-help-to-buy-a-portable-mini-scooter 
  • sandraspink2
    sandraspink2 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    i have a scooter through mobility and it costs me 77 pounds a month off my mobility payment ,but you have to be recieving the higer award of dla or pip ,you can also get from mobility shops if youre not able to get one through mobility scheme  and pay them up, at the end of the payment the scooter is yours to keep ,on mobility scheme all maintainance is free .and you get an upgrade of scooter every 3 years ,tyre ect are all covered by mobility scheme,also insurance is covered if you are eligablefor scheme .

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.