Allow me to introduce myself. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Allow me to introduce myself.

Options
Horace
Horace Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Inline image 1

My name is Horace, and I live in the midwestern United States, Chicago, Illinois.

Over the last several years I developed neurological disorders which significantly limit my ability to use my hands, and I am trying to become more functional with hands-free devices and technology.

I’m hoping anyone can provide helpful feedback on how I should go about learning how to get better with using mouthsticks and other devices which make it easier to use the computer and manipulate objects such as paper, magazines, books, etc. without using my hands.

Also any links, associations, people, and companies that would further my goal to become as functional as possible without using my hands would be most helpful.

FYI: I am typing this letter with the following assistive technology: a foot operated mouse, Windows On-Screen Keyboard, keyboard mouthstick, a headset microphone and Dragon NaturallySpeaking. (Each assistive technology has its pluses and minuses.)

Thanks in advance,

Comments

• bam
    bam Community member Posts: 326 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello @horace it is a pleasure to meet a fellow American on a British site. I have relatives that live in Urbana. I have traveled to Urbana and Chicago probably 25 times in my lifetome. I'm really sorry to hear about your difficulties with your hands. I also suffer from a neurological disease and also have problems my hands too. I really understand and know what you're going through. My heart goes out to you Horace. I wanted to welcome you to the community. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do and gather some of the information you need
  • Horace
    Horace Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.