Information please? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Information please?

Andrea1967
Andrea1967 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi I wonder if anyone knows how I go about getting a wheelchair for my mum...she has COPD and has recently left hospital after 6 weeks with pneumonia. ..thanks in advance 

Comments

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Hi Andrea,

Welcome to the community. Does she need it permanently or do you just want to borrow one?

The British Red Cross has a borrowing service. 

@mossycow had some great advice on this post:
    https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/31094/advice-on-getting-a-wheelchair

Google 'wheelchair services and <where you live>'.  This will lead you to your NHS help.  They are stretched... But you are entitled to help so go for it.  They will assess you for the right wheelchair.  If you will need wheelchair inside you can have a power chair.  If not needed in your house NHS will fund a manual chair.  You will be offered a chair to borrow till they have bought your perfect chair for you to borrow.  Takes time.. 
    But the difference between a heavy chair that didn't fit and one made for me made a massive difference! 
    We found British red cross have a wheelchair borrowing service.  It is free for small deposit of £30. Just Google Red Cross and where you live.  Many people let them keep deposit as a donation.  They were life savers! They delivered,  repaired and collected chair when we were done. 

• Andrea1967
    Andrea1967 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
  • mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    Beat of luck!  Do try gp or NHS first. 

Do you anticipate her needing it for long term or just for a little while after this hospital visit?  Get well soon! 

You can hire from mobility shops and prices vary lots.  

British red cross are fantastic

Best wishes
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Hi @Andrea1967

Were you able to get a wheelchair? We'd love to know how you got on!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.