New PIP rules from 16 March 2017 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New PIP rules from 16 March 2017

Matilda
Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
I have just read in the latest Disability Rights newsletter and in The Mirror online that from 16 March certain medical conditions, including diabetes, dementia, learning disability and anxiety, will no longer qualify for PIP.  While Tribunals have criticised the DWP for applying PIP rules too tightly, the DWP have decided that Tribunals have been too 'generous' at appeals, so have excluded certain conditions as the only method to stop qualification for PIP!   Thin end of the wedge?

Comments

• RomaFree1
    RomaFree1 Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    Just horrific!! Whatever next? 
  • Matilda
    Indeed - but there has been a major backlash.  Even a Tory think tank, the Bow Group, have criticised the imposition of the new rules.
  • Chris_Alumni
    Chris_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 689 Pioneering
    Hi Matilda, I'm not sure this is 100% correct. Is this the article? - http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/benefits-cut-change-tory-pip-9906018 

From what I can see its not that there are any specific conditions that are excluded from PIP, rather that the government has chosen to overide the findings of recent tribunals which suggested that more PIP points should be given to people with difficulties travelling alone, and those that take medication. See text from the article below. So while no specific conditions have been excluded, it may be more difficult for people with medical conditions such as those you mentioned to be awarded points that they may have otherwise been given.

From the Mirror, on the tribunals that have been overturned :

"The first tribunal said more points should be available in the "mobility" element for people who suffer "overwhelming psychological distress" when travelling alone.

That would have handed new money to 143,000 people who previously received nothing for the mobility element of PIP.

Half of them would have received the enhanced rate of £57.45 a week, and the other half the standard rate of £21.80 a week, the DWP said.

Another 21,000 people would have moved from the standard to the enhanced rate, giving them an extra £35.65 a week.

The second tribunal recommended more points in the "daily living" element for people who need help to take medication and monitor a health condition. This would have affected just over 1,000 people, a DWP impact assessment said.

• Matilda
    Nevertheless, according to Disability Rights, under the proposed new rules,
    many of those with certain conditions will find it almost impossible to qualify for PIP whereas it was less difficult under the old rules - anxiety is one example.
  • bazzer
    bazzer Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    absolutely stressed here i only got my P.I.P last year and it stressed me out no end the thought of going through all of that again is something i can't cope with

• furkin
    furkin Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thats exactly what they want, to kill us off bit by bit !
    Have you heard about some people being interviewed by ATOS (a foreign company, with fraudulent reputations - whilst our Government has put Doctors & nurses on benefits !? Shouldn't we use these to carry out interviews to get them back to work ?) get asked "why haven't you committed suicide yet" or "shouldn't you have committed suicide by now ?".
    When the interviewees walk out screeching, is classed as "didn't continue with claim" !!!!  

I was told in writing:
    1/ that PIP no longer gives awards for more than 3 years, but people now say that they get it for years and/or permanent.
    2/ They also say that ALL DLA recipients will have to go for PIP.

The original PIP notes said that only people with a birthday before April the something have to change from DLA to PIP.
    But we all know younger people still receive DLA, along with original term; 3 years or permanent etc.
    What's the notes that explain this ?

Good luck to all

• 11dakota
    11dakota Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I have taken the tribunal route as my PIP was at the 3 year review point and I was fit enough in ATOS's eyes. Incidentally I have a good part of my left foot amputated after an accident and the condition was aggravated by diabetes. I have a friend who deals with older children and young adults in a special training scheme, he has told me some terrible stories about the way his students have been treated. Luckily I am an ex serviceman and I have several organisations available to me who are assisting me with the approach to the HMCTS Tribunal, fingers crossed I will have no problems with re-instatement, but the stress is very bad for me. It hasn't helped that I had an interview last week for an ESA assessment, if I lose that I will have no income and no way of working...

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.