Exhaustion: HELP! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Exhaustion: HELP!

Ashyjojo88
Ashyjojo88 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited March 2017 in Cerebral palsy
Hiya, I'm Ash.

I'm a 28yo female w/ mild to moderate CP.
I have generally always been pretty positive when it comes to my disability but over the last few years, I have been really struggling with what I can only describe as sheer & utter exhaustion. I am now living with my other half for the first time & can't help but I feel like I am being a burden to him because some days I can barely move.... There are days I barely have the strength to get myself washed and dressed let alone hold down the full time job I have & meet the demands of running a household.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Part of my illness includes fatigue and so I understand just how debilitating it can be! Have you had blood tests to rule out iron or vitamin deficiency?

One thing I do which I know sounds simple but definitely helps me is to drink plenty of water/squash.  I don't want this to sound dismissive as I know it is hard when people recommend simple things, but dehydration has such a huge effect on how you feel.

It may have nothing to do with your exhaustion, but dehydration is so underrated on wellbeing and drinking plenty will do you good anyway.  The NHS talks a bit more about dehydration here. I bought a water bottle that I fill up and drink through the day (and night) as it means I can remember how much I am taking in.  Even if it doesn't help, at least it rules out dehydration.

I would say a chat with your doctor would be useful too. Best of luck  :) 
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Stayce
    Stayce Community member, CP Network Posts: 843 Pioneering
    Hi @Ashyjojo88
    Sorry to hear you are feeling so exhausted. I have CP and suffer with fatigue as a consequence - so I do understand how you feel.

With CP we can use 3 to 5 times more energy to do day to day things which increases the likelihood of fatigue and exhaustion 

I have written elsewhere about fatigue management. I would also suggest talking to your GP about referral for occupational therapy as some of these services
    Offer fatigue management which I have found helpful

Hope this helps

Best wishes

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    @Noah @Stayce @Rainbow_wheelz16 do any of you have experience of this?

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Stayce
    Stayce Community member, CP Network Posts: 843 Pioneering
    edited February 2017
    Hi @Sam_Scope

Yes I have a lot of experience on this :) - I responded to @Ashyjojo88 last night Hopefully that is helpful. I am pretty much always exhausted going to work takes a lot out of me these days! (I am in my thirties) I found Fatigue management with occupational therapist good. You explore trigger points/ how to plan both your work and social activities around being fatigued/exhausted (as lets face it these are the first you start to ditch when you are exhausted, which is not good for the whole life-work balance thing). I was also taught Mindfulness techniques to use throughout my working day (its the latest buzz word so you can be fashionable at the same time:)

i would say don't be too hard on yourself - Your body is working hard with the CP its your body's way of telling you you need to build periods of rest and relaxation into your day - it has to be a routine (otherwise it becomes just end- gaming and moving on to the next thing just as you did before = burnout)

Hope this helps

Best wishes

• mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    I don't have cp, but have problems with fatigue and am usually exhausted. 

I know what you mean about being reliant on partner, it's so hard and you wonder why someone so lovely would stick with you.... But it's obviously because you rock and your partner doesn't measure gorgeousness on 'how much can you do' but on the real you. 

I need to tell myself this sometimes..... 

I am currently doing a complete overall of how I live trying to make it as efficient as possible. Seeing if doing things differently and frankly smiling a bit can help.... E. G. A few ready meals.... Looking into funding for stair lift... Groceries delivered even when Im having a good day so I can have a bit left over.... Also my daughter is doing more and I'm trying to be more confident asking for help...... Hard

• Abnoba
    Abnoba Community member Posts: 14 Listener
    Check out autogenic technique, it's a form of self hypnosis. But most of all be kind to yourself, listen to your body, and try not to push yourself when you need to rest.
  • Noah
    Noah Community member Posts: 425 Pioneering
    edited February 2017
    Yes, complete exhaustion is very much part of having CP - We do push are bodies extremely hard - every day can feel like a marathon.

Take a good hard look at your life, and try and find ways to make things more efficient.

What about seeing if you can employ a personal assistant to help? to enable you to have the energy to continue to work.

Maybe there are adjustments at work that Access to work can recommend so that your job is less demanding?

Also it is good to try and rule out other possible causes with the help of medical professionals.

You may find looking at our post https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/comment/86274#Comment_86274 there are things that can help and often its not one thing, rather a combination of many things that help.

I wish you the very best,

Kind regards

Noah

• Rainbow_wheelz16
    Rainbow_wheelz16 Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    Hi. I have  severe problems  with fatigue and find every day tasks take significant effort. It has even got to the point where I have felt nauseous and often need to rest and sleep more than usual.  The only thing that  I've found helpful is to pace myself and activities. It effects everyday life and is something  that I've had to  learn to manage and accept. There is some information on here re cp and post impairment syndrome. I have also found that as well as physical symptoms  such as muscle weakness, pain, etc, I have mental  fatigue when I'm particularly worn out. There's  a link here from the MS Society  on fatigue and fatigue management. I have found many of the symptoms of MS fatigue similar to the  fatigue issues I've experienced as someone with cp. https://www.mssociety.org.uk/what-is-ms/signs-and-symptoms/fatigue7

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.