Mobility Assesssment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mobility Assesssment

Mol
Mol Community member Posts: 52 Connected
Could someone explain why it is that planning a journey on the assessment form seems more important than your disabilities.

I have osteoarthritis in both shoulders with bone growth, I have lost most of the movement of my right arm.

I can move it forward but not sideways or backwards or above my head, I have recently had C5-C6 vertebrae disc replaced and had the bone cut away as it was squashing my nerve.

I am still in agony with the pain. It makes trying to use buses and trains very difficult as I get scared of the bus jerking or a simple thing like not getting a seat.

Would that make a difference on the decision for mobility? or is mobility only about walking?

I also have Tri-Compartmental Osteoarthritis in both knee's and degenerative cervical spine disease.

Also I have 3 other lifelong conditions.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 210 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    I think the planning and navigating a journey mainly applies to blind people, those with learning disabilities and people with some severe mental health problems.

The getting around criteria for PIP are very narrow.  It's all about how far you can walk before you need to stop and rest.
  • Castleford1
    Castleford1 Community member Posts: 59 Courageous
    My daughter has severe learning disabilities and owing to her mental incapacity couldn't plan anything, certainly not a journey.
  • niccoben
    niccoben Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I have multiple sclerosis and was awarded dla indefinitely I got called in for a face to face interview as I was in my wheelchair because I had a fall  apart from moving my fingers I did not have to do anything else except answer a few question  when my decision came through I was awarded the enhanced rate for daily living but my mobility was changed fron enhanced rate to standard  I lost two points on planning a journey I said I could not plan a journey due to my short term memory problem which end is caused by my ms the assessor decided that as I was not being treated for mental health problems  she decided that I am not affected by short term memory problems  my condition has got worse and without my car I will not be able to get about my husband drove the car I am requesting a mandortory review and will be seeing an advisor from C.A.B. For further advise I agree with the other people on here why do I need to not be able to plan a journey to be able to get the enhanced rate of pip  .
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    People can get enhanced rate mobility if they are able to plan a journey - as long as they can't walk more than 20 metres without needing to stop and rest.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 210 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.