Hi, my name is Dougal! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Dougal!

Dougal
Dougal Community member Posts: 13 Listener
edited March 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello i have systemic Lupus, Arthritis, Depression, Anxiety and Borderline Personality Disorder,
i was getting lower rate Mobility i rang up to tell them i had worsened ... i'm being helped and treated in Adult Mental Health weekly.. i was called up for an Assessment... had to be taken as i was so anxious.. got my papers through very quickly.. removing ALL money .. saying so many Lies, exaggerations just totally distorting and minimising everything i suffer with and emotionally go through...i appealed and sent in a wad of Evidence letters form my GP and Psychologist ...they sent new papers  they upped my points slightly but not enough to get any money... i have found this whole procedure Awful, Humiliating and have had Suicidal Tendencies because i feel overwhelmed and see no way out... its now gone to court and awaiting my outcome        

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    I've heard many accounts of how someone has contacted DWP because their condition has got worse - and had what benefit they were getting taken away!  It does seem as though DWP treat reports of a deterioration as an excuse to remove benefit.  Though this should not be the case, it seems safer not to report a worsening condition until the next scheduled review comes up.

However, over 60% of appeals are successful which of course is very encouraging.
  • mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    Oh no, that's dreadful @Dougal. You are not alone, its a dreadful, degrading process and you've been so unlucky. Its not a fair system at all.

Have you got someone helping you with filling in forms, processing all this stuff? I found that really hard. I found the Scope helpline [0808 800 3333] really good as they have a benefit expert who helped me.

Obviously there are financial things - go back to basics. Have you got enough to eat, somewhere warm to sleep, medication etc.  You are surviving through a bad time so DO use stuff like food banks, friends, charities etc. They are there for those having bad luck and its nothing to do with if you are a good or bad person. You are a GOOD person have a bad time, not a bad person. And it will get better!

At the same time as keeping life going, get as much help as you can to appeal. Wish I could give you more signposts but better if you are on the phone to call the helpline above.

Are you keeping up with your health stuff? I find when I get low I forget medicine and appointments and stuff. DO try and keep up with all this as this will help keep you as strong as possible to cope with this hard time.

What do you enjoy in life? Is there anything you can do to make life feel worth all this struggle?  Do you have pets? family? a hobby?

Do chat to us here, just ranting and getting it out might help a bit while you a waiting to hear about the appeal.  But yeah, person above is right, most appeals work out in your favour!!

• mossycow
    @Sam_Scope

Have you any more advice regarding benefits, very low mood etc Sam?
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Dougal You arent alone, there are so many people going through this difficult process and it is unsurprising it can affect your mood.

@mossycow is right, the helpline is wonderful and definitely worth a call - 0808 800 3333 

Do you have any family or friend support? The most important thing is for you to remember that you arent alone and there are people who will support you through this time.

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Dougal
    Dougal Community member Posts: 13 Listener
    Thank you all for your replies..
    No i have no family support.. i do it all myself..no i dont use any food banks or anything like that..
    yes i have a dog and she is my best friend, she keeps me alive.
    i have some  support from the Adult Mental Health Team
  • Castleford1
    Castleford1 Community member Posts: 59 Courageous
    All the best for your appeal Dougal.  I am sure better times are ahead for you.  Take care of yourself.
  • mossycow
    Whats your dog like @Dougal ? I bet she is more cuddly than my fish!!!!  had How long have you had her?
  • Abnoba
    Abnoba Community member Posts: 14 Listener
    Hi Dougal glad to hear you have a pet - dogs make wonderful loyal family members, and help destress you.

When you received the letter, it should have mentioned that you could request a 'mandatory reconsideration' within a month of the date of a decision. Writing to them is always better, as the individuals manning the phone systems are trained in a specific way that's not always helpful.

What's positive is that you have support and evidence re your condition from various professionals who know you. And if it's gone to court hopefully, they will increase your points. When it gets stressful focus on your dog, give her your energy not some people you've never met. Be patient. Good luck!
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Hi @Dougal,

How are you? Have you heard back about your appeal?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.