Fit For Work? Read this article. It is frightening. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Fit For Work? Read this article. It is frightening.

Comments

• nanof6
    nanof6 Community member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    what is this world comming to

• Soso
    Soso Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    This country is disgusting
  • salwil89
    salwil89 Community member Posts: 56 Courageous
    What amazes me is that he demonstrates a "can do" attitude and he is penalized for it? A humiliating experience.
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger

Sadly it does not surprise me, having heard a lot of stories about what has gone on.

The department has since apologised, claiming the decision was the result of a “clerical error”

This is excuse is getting so thin its totally transparent.

The assessment is checked and cleared by a DWP assessor so it was not questioned and accepted as accurate.

There is a mandatory reconsideration before going to appeal, and again, assumedly, it was decided the results of the assessment was correct.

Mandatory assessments were introduced to lower the number of cases going to appeal and hence a high appeal success by applicants.

As I recall the number of appeals did go down after the mandatory review was introduced, but those who went on to appeal the success rate was still too high.

According to the DWP the reason for this high success rate was the appeal courts seeing for themselves that the initial assessment was wrong. So the rules are changing again to stop personal attendance at appeals and it becoming primarily another paper exercise.

The whole thing is to stop disabled people getting what they need and are entitled to 'encourage' them into work. If a few disabled people die along the way this is acceptable, as the benefits of being in work outweighs the potential detrimental affect of the loss of income or sanctions.

Just look how quickly they moved to stop people with mental disabilities getting certain disability benefits, then the news today that legislation drawn up two years ago to protect children from paedophiles and sexual abusers online but the police are limited in what they can do because of a missing signature required to enact the legislation.

These are the same people who want us to trust them to remove us from the European Human Rights  and trust them to ensure we remain protected.

They also want those coming into our country to learn and take on British Values.

Out of the three I don't know which one scares me most:

1) Their determination to impoverish and punish disabled and long term sick, and a few deaths along the way is acceptable.

2) The British public has backed their desire to get rid of the human rights we currently enjoy because they are so trustworthy

3) They  want to enforce their view of British Values on new entrants.

'Scope is a charity that exists to make this country a place where disabled people have the same opportunities as everyone else. Until then, we’ll be here.'

Sadly I see a long future for Scope.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• salwil89
    @Geoark - having read your response, I do think that the DWP and the government need to put their heads together and become more constructive about their decision making process.  It seems as though they have lost control of the disabled and access to the public purse but in the process have lost intelligent and mindful insight into the difficulties that disabled folk endure.  In the case of whether a person is fit for work because they are classified as having mobility needs to be broken down to micro-classification.  It looks as though the measure of mobility is not adequately identified to enhance the incumbent's well being towards meaningful training and employment opportunities.  I think it is despicable to be disrespectful and undignified towards the disabled.  Where is the compassion? Obviously none at all.  I am temporarily disabled and life has been very difficult. When I did report to the Job Centre in the past, the disability advisor there was quite rude at times and not appropriately helpful.  In exasperation I was then referred to Remploy who were not able to help me with employment either because I do not live in the catchment area! I would have thought that this advisor would have known that, but obviously not which demonstrates the need for further training of disability advisors to become more helpful and reassuring.
  • Carolyn55
    Carolyn55 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
    How disgusting it's taking its toll on disabled #notgood 
  • salwil89
    @Carolyn55 - Well things are going to change!
  • Carolyn55
    Carolyn55 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
    Yes hopefully it does 
  • Geoark

@salwil89 I am sure things will change, but not for the better before 2020 and possibly even beyond that. It will not happen while the conservatives are in power and likely to continue worsening.

Friday, when parliament was not sitting, the government made a further change to the benefit system which means young people between 18 and 21 will not get housing benefit if they are unemployed. I would love to compare this with a story on Sunday which shows why this benefit is so important to some young people but also acutely aware it could be a trigger for some people.

Without knowing the full details it is hard  to say if there are any exceptions -  those coming out of care, young people sent to war and come back disabled with no place to go, Disabled young people who may never work.

May promised to govern Britain for everyone, that said I think it is fair to look at the policies which come out to see who they see as 'no one'.

I would be extremely happy if I am proven wrong.

• salwil89
    @Geoark - I don't know enough about the issues surrounding disability.  My reference to change meant employment opportunities opening up for the disabled as the disabled are worth GBP249 billion to the British economy.
  • Geoark

@salwil89 - while the 249 Billion sounds good it represents over 50% point increase in the rate of employment for disabled people. Landman Economic Report, and Scopes look at this report 'Enabling work: disabled people, employment and the UK economy' Jenny Gulliford April 2015 looked at the far more modest 5% and 10% point increase by 2030 and the challenges of achieving these targets.

When you consider this with the Papworth Trust 'Disability facts and figures' 2016 we seem to be a long way of realising the potential £249 Billion difference in the economy from employing disabled people.

Don't get me wrong, I fully support employing people with disabilities, but I do not believe that we do this by increasing the barriers to work for disabled people. I believe we are a long way off realising this level of employment.

• salwil89
    @Geoark - well I approached an agency on LinkedIn and I applied for an audio typing job with no response.  I have made myself available to work from home as audio transcriber. I decided to be an early starter. I am interested to see what transpires?
  • Geoark

@salwil89 I wish you all the best and hope it works out for you. Check out freeindex if you haven't done so. The main service is free and offers a lot more than some other sites. There is a premium service but if you are just starting out I would suggest waiting until you have started to build a reputation and reasonable income.

• salwil89
    @Geoark - Thanks very much. Will definitely take a look!
  • nanof6
    nanof6 Community member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    going back up the post, T MAY says she will be fair to all, she is cutting houseing allounce for 15 to 25 year olds, but heating mantions for the over 65, she needs to get a real life
  • tinao08
    tinao08 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Oh god I've got my ESA work capacity assessment tomorrow  I'm already dreading it even with all of the evidence I have I already have a fear that they will say I'm fit for work and will have to fight the decision and I haven't even seen them yet it's made me ill worrying about it 
  • Sarah0107
    Sarah0107 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    I had my esa medical this year, first one and I waited 12 months for it.
    Next thing the jobcentre are calling me in as I had been put in the the work related category.
    The advisor asked why I hadn't append this decision. I had not received any letter from esa stating my category or right to appeal nor what my money would be.
    Crazy system that leads to stress affecting my sanity at times!
  • Sarah0107
    Sarah0107 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
  • tinao08
    tinao08 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    It should take 3-4 weeks I  had my assessment on the 10th March I'm in hospital at the moment so I hope my letter is waiting for me when I get home otherwise I will be chasing it I think you only have a sort while to appeal the descion I really hoping mine has gone through ok as I'm really not well enough to work I  wish I was  but right now I just can't the doctor I saw seemed to listen but that don't always mean a thing have you call Benefits If not I  would call them asap 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.