Advice for making a good first impression — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice for making a good first impression

S_WfU
S_WfU Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi All

I've been trying to find advice for someone who will be having interviews soon. He's disabled, in an electric wheelchair and has limited movement with his arms. So far I've not been able to find much for him!

So, how do you make a good first impression in interview/workplace situations. The stumbling block he's found is everyone has their own preconceived opinions based on their own past experiences and interactions. This can be hard to change in those first few vital seconds.

Any advice would be welcomed, thanks so much in advance!

Comments

• CaderMac
    CaderMac Community member Posts: 105 Pioneering
    edited March 2017
    Hello @S_WfU
    I know it can be hard to make a good first impression when people have such ingrained, preconceived ideas about others. My advice would be (probably very obvious) to be yourself! Being relaxed, confident and honest is quite possibly the best way to break down people's assumptions.
    I am interested to see if anyone else has any top tips, as I think this is something most of us on the community might struggle with!
    From personal experience, I am barely over 5ft and very baby faced so I find that when people meet me for the first time they assume I will be immature or inexperienced. For this reason, I have spent a lot of time perfecting my firm handshake to show that despite looking like a little fairy, I mean business!!
    For the person you are seeking advice for, a handshake may not be the best solution to boosting his confidence. So perhaps you could spend some time working on a killer "opening line", perhaps even a witty joke about his wheelchair to break the ice! 
    Let me know how you get on and if you find any great tips. Cader x 
  • LDNUMBERPAIN
    LDNUMBERPAIN Community member Posts: 21 Connected
     Appearance is important for first impression not just how one is dressed but also selling oneself with a positive personality that potential employers will see as making a contribution to the company..do some background research to present an informed response to such questions as why do you want to work for this company? True everyone has there own preconceived opinions, interviews are an opportunity to change those opinions not by rejecting them rather explain in as few words as possible the benefit to the company of employing a person who does not let disability get in the way of progress.

In the first few seconds the most important thing is to present a friendly happy appearance, practice this with friends before the interview, and it will improve confidence on the big day, video and study playback, what can be improved in those first few seconds?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.