What can you spend PIP on? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What can you spend PIP on?

Alex
Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
edited March 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi @BenefitsTrainingCo

Are there any rules about what people can spend their PIP on?

Also I've heard a few comments here and elsewhere about the DWP using what people post on social media as evidence against their benefit claims. Do you know if there's any truth in that?

Thanks,
Alex

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 210 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2017
    Hi @Alex

This is an edited version of my inbox reply to your message.

PIP recipients indeed are allowed to spend PIP on whatever they like, no rules.  But DWP, as I understand it, say the aim of PIP is for help getting around outside (mobility) and/or disability aids/personal care help.    

The government think that many PIP recipients spend their benefit on affluent lifestyles!  I don't want to encourage the government in this belief.

Some months ago my MP wrote to the then relevant minister, Pritti Patel, about the volume of letters from concerned constituents about PIP and ESA.  Pritti Patel's reply in effect said that the government would not be changing their policy on making PIP and ESA difficult to claim because the government had no intention of 'funding lifestyles' for PIP and ESA claimants that taxpayers paying for these lifestyles could not themselves afford!  

I am worried about DWP getting to hear more about disabled people in general using PIP for purposes other than for what it is really intended.  The government are looking for any excuse to restrict access to PIP and ESA.

• [Deleted User]
  • Matilda
  • [Deleted User]
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    @Matilda

Ah, I see! That makes sense, thanks. I completely agree with you - we certainly don't want to encourage the belief that money is being used for 'funding lifestyles'. It's terrible to think that some MPs might think that.
  • Matilda
    @Alex

I believe certainly the government think that PIP often is being used for 'luxuries' and no doubt some other MPs think that, too.
  • [Deleted User]
  • Matilda
    Exactly, @mumof3boys.  The DWP have a very wide-ranging concept of 'luxuries' indeed.
  • [Deleted User]
  • Matilda
    My own MP did not agree with the government's view.  But she said that, as the government wouldn't budge on their policy of making PIP and ESA difficult to claim, there was nothing more she could do.
  • [Deleted User]
  • Matilda
    Yes, @mumof3boys, the government are out of touch.
  • Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    Alex said:
    Hi @BenefitsTrainingCo

Are there any rules about what people can spend their PIP on?

Also I've heard a few comments here and elsewhere about the DWP using what people post on social media as evidence against their benefit claims. Do you know if there's any truth in that?

Thanks,
    Alex

There are no rules and it would be impossible to police spending if there were.

It would not be possible to link an individual with their specific posts unless they used their real name. Scope for instance, does not collect personally identifiable information.

Those on the right of the Tory party would like to end welfare altogether. It just so happens that the disabled are seen as a soft target. The most you can get on PIP is equivalent to half of the adult minimum wage!

The DWP is not Big Brother and their arguments tend to be childish and pathetic.

• Matilda
    There was an item in the Press some months ago about the DWP catching out a model girl who was claiming benefits (don't know which) and who was posting photos of herself on Facebook living a 'jet set' lifestyle.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi Alex

There's absolutely no rules on what you can spend your PIP on.

Entitlement is based on the circumstances and evidence relating to each case. There is nothing to stop the DWP using information obtained from the internet. However, it is only one type of evidence and will need to be considered on its own merits along with all other evidence relating to the claim.

David
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.