2 year old - problems with swallowing — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

2 year old - problems with swallowing

Denisew
Denisew Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited March 2017 in Cerebral palsy
My 2 year old Stepdaughter was born 3 months premature & has Cerebal Palsy affecting her right side. At the moment she is unable to sit unsupported but can move around by crawling. She has problems swallowing & frequently gags. I would like to hear from anyone with an older child who has been through a similar experience. I am keen to help get in any way I can. Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Hi @Denise,

Welcome to the community. I've just moved your post to the cerebral palsy group to see if anyone can help.

Difficulty eating is quite a common issue - we have a section of the website about food which might have some useful information in it: 
    https://www.scope.org.uk/support/families/cerebral-palsy/eating
    https://www.scope.org.uk/support/families/food/A-Z-of-eating-difficulties

• forgoodnesssake
    forgoodnesssake Community member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    Hi, my son has always been able to swallow after a fashion but has never been great at chewing, so he has been seen by a speech and language therapist with disphagia training since he was 15 months old.  If you have not already been put in touch with one you should ask your health visitor or paediatrician to refer you as soon as possible as they will be able to advise and help you.  It is possible that her speech may also be affected and again it is really important to get some sort of communication in place as young as possible and so a speech therapist can help with this (and don;t worry that if you start using symbols or pictures with your stepdaughter it will discourage her from developing speech...this is an old wive's tale and quite the opposite is often true!)
  • Denisew
    Denisew Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi
    Thsnks very much for your reply & advice, it is much appreciated 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.