If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Having difficulties logging in or resetting your password?

Please email [email protected]

Carers allowance

GorgeGorge Posts: 2Member Listener
my husband gets carers allowance for me..now he is very ill himself could somebody claim carers allowance for him and if they did would it affect his claim.

Replies

• lesleyoakleylesleyoakley Posts: 6Member Listener
    Anyone you choose can claim carers allowance we have a family member who claims for my husband, if you have someone in mind who will be able to take care of you or your husband give the care allowance people a phone call, they should be able to help and advise you.  Good luck   
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Posts: 2,687Member Pioneering
    Hi Gorge

It is only possible to claim Carer's Allowance if the person you care for gets a qualifying benefit at the correct rate. For adults of working age this is usually Personal Independence Payment daily living component or for people over 65 it is usually Attendance Allowance. And so it is important that your husband claims one of these benefits. You can find more information about these on the Scope pages here.

It may be that your husband can continue to get Carer's Allowance in respect of you because care can include supervision as well as assistance. However, there is sometimes a complex relationship between Carer's Allowance and other benefits and it might even make sense for both of you to give up your Carer's Allowance claims - BUT this is a very difficult area and you should definitely get further advice before considering it. We might be able to advise you here if you tell us exactly what your current benefits entitlements are and any other income or capital you have. We would also need to know whether it is just you and your husband living together or whether there other people living with you. 

David
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • AvrilGAvrilG Posts: 4Member Listener
    My elderly parents are each others carers. They were advised to not bother claiming carers allowance for each other as it will just get deducted from one and given to the other, which is pointless.
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Posts: 2,687Member Pioneering
    Hi AvrilG - I need to just come in here, as there is more to it than this and I wouldn't want your parents or other people to lose out. Any couple who live together, and each get Attendance Allowance or daily living PIP or middle/high rate DLA care need to get proper advice on whether or not it is worth either or both of them claiming Carer's Allowance. As David says, there is a complex connection between Carer's Allowance and other benefits, BUT if your parents are on a modest income, then they may find themselves able to get increased amounts of pension credit, housing benefit or help with council tax if they can each make a claim for Carer's Allowance for looking after each other (even if that claim results in them being awarded something called the 'underlying entitlement' rather than the real thing). Before making a claim, you can do some further research on the excellent benefits calculator on this Scope website. You can also call the Pension Service on 0345 606 0265 and the Carer's Allowance unit in 0345 4321. It's always worth checking this situation out in detail before deciding not to proceed.
    Hope this is helpful!
    Jayne
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.