Work — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Work

prettypolly
prettypolly Community member Posts: 2 Listener
How hard is it to get a new job wen u suffer from bipolor iv worked for same company for 10 years but iv hated my job for 5 years but too afraid to leave because I'm not sure I'd get another job

Comments

• bubbly
    bubbly Scope Volunteer Posts: 26 Connected
    Could you try looking whilst still in your current job?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
    edited March 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 210 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • prettypolly
    prettypolly Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I have been looking but afraid to take the next step my illness has gotten worse over last 3 years and iv had loads of time off people keep telling me I shouldn't be working if am this bad but I need my job n the routine n stability it gives me
  • cookiecc67
    cookiecc67 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    You do not need to declare a disability when you apply for job although sometimes it makes life easier to declare early. It depends on how much you feel your condition will impact you in any role.

You could look for companies who are in the Two Ticks scheme as they show a commitment to support disabled employees.

Have you considered contacting the Access to Work Mental Health Support Service. This is a free service where you will be provided with support to help you in work.

The fact you have been in a role for 10 years proves to prospective employers that you are capable of performing in a role. It is generally easier to find work when you are in work. Do not be afraid to apply for jobs if you feel that are capable. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.