General anaesthetic at the dentist — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

General anaesthetic at the dentist

PaulaMcC
PaulaMcC Community member Posts: 6 Connected
edited March 2017 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hi my son is 12 years old and is diagnosed with ASD, ADHD (he takes medication), anxiety and learning difficulties.  He is due to get a general anaesthetic to get some dental work.  He went through the whole process last year, it was very difficult, so he knows what's happening.  We were at the hospital 2 weeks ago but after sedation was ineffective (he has a fear of sleeping and fought to stay awake) we had to leave as he was in a real state.  I've asked to leave another appointment until I can work with him and try to reduce his anxiety surrounding the hospital, a big task ahead! Have you any tips on how i can try and reduce his anxiety?  I know the anxiety will start before we leave the house as he can't have any breakfast, explaining why he can't will send him into complete panic mode. Any advice you could give would be really appreciated.  Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • VioletFenn
    VioletFenn Community member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    Is there any way you could arrange a visit beforehand to run through what will happen on the day? More than once, if at all possible? Just to take the edge off the 'newness' and difference. I would be inclined to ask the hospital or your GP for help with this - they must have had to deal with similar situations before now.

As an aside, my own son has a terrible time coping with dental work and ended up being transferred to our local NHS dentist as our family surgery simply couldn't cope with him. The new place take a lot of special needs kids and have been brilliant - they let him visit three times and just sit in the chair etc before actually doing any work.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.