Apprenticeships and welfare benefits — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Apprenticeships and welfare benefits

suek
suek Community member Posts: 18 Connected
Hello, I am trying to find out how apprenticeships affect benefits for a disabled young person and their family. I understand that DLA will not be affected but unable to find confirmation of this. I alos beleive tax credits and housing benefit etc. will be affected but again I cannot find verification of this. Any information gratefully rceived, thank you.

Comments

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    edited March 2017
    Hi Suek,

As DLA and PIP are not means tested, they shouldn't be affected by doing an apprenticeship, but doing the apprenticeship might be used as evidence when they move to PIP. Here's what the benefits advisor wrote this about benefits and work:

PIP is not means-tested and you can work and receive PIP.  The nature of the work could lead the DWP to query whether you qualify for PIP, particularly if the activities involved in doing the job are at odds with the activities you have claimed difficulty with.as a result of your illness or disability. A lot depends on how much work you do as well and if you have help or support to do the job so there are times when it's not clear cut. If you have any questions about this please post back on here. 

You can read the discussion here
    https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/31832/pip-working-housing-benefits-and-council-tax

As for other benefits - assuming they are around 16 - child tax credits stop unless they are in approved training/education - see the list here:
    https://www.gov.uk/child-tax-credit-when-child-reaches-16

Might be worth using the benefits checker to check how it might affect things (for example if the income affects housing benefits):
    https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/benefits/check

• suek
    suek Community member Posts: 18 Connected
    Thanks Alex. Very helpful.  I now have another question. The young person involved has learning disabilities and autism and is unable to access education via the usual routes. If he does not enrol on an apprenticeship he will lose his EHC plan.  Does this make any difference at all? Thanks

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.