Always crying — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Always crying

chelseabudworth24
chelseabudworth24 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
my daughter is nearly two, she had a neo natal stroke which caused brain damage and she was diagnosed with CP at 7 months however we always knew the possibility due to an MRI when 2weeks old. Just looking for advice, my daughter always cries and whinges if I'm not holding her its constant day and night. She very rarely eats and when I offer her food she just cries she sometimes picks on fruit ect but not often. However she still drinks lots of milk. I would be really greatful if any one could give me some advice on how to help her with eating and also the crying? 
 Thank you 

Comments

• claire_bryony
    claire_bryony Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Have u tried blending very smooth and soups in cups ! My daughter with cp doesn't tolerate food in the sence of texture ! She may be very hungry ! And crying but she's not sure why ! Used to drive me mad , try weetabix or smooth porridge xx hope all gets well x
  • chelseabudworth24
    Thank you! She absolutely hates being fed and out right refuses for me to feed her! I have tried so many things it's unreal! I'm not sure what else I can do x
  • claire_bryony
    It is very difficult but take a step back !! Right back to the beginning and start all over ! She will sence ur stress which will stress her too and associate feeding with sad faces and not a good thing to do !! Even invite others her same age so she can see it's fun to eat ! They are really smart kids x bryony is such a fussy eater even now at 18 !( any thing is better than nothing ) try pancakes which are soft and sweet with fruit mashed on to it one of brys faves xx
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    Hi Chelsea, As super nanny would say the crying is learnt from very early on as a way to be picked up. I know it's hard but try and focus on changing the outcome. If she's only crying to be held or for attention try ignoring it even turn your back and get on with the housework or whatever. Let her see that it's not going to work. Then as soon as she goes quiet turn towards her and give her a cuddle and talk to her. Play with her when she's quiet so she's still getting that closeness with you. With the eating if she's hungry she will eat eventually. You need to let her see it's not a big deal if she doesn't eat. I think you would need to cut down on the milk so she's actually hungry as she won't feel the need to eat as milk is filling her up. Try and work out why she doesn't want to eat and work towards changing things. Be inventive but most of all don't let her see it's a problem. As Claire said make it fun, smile and laugh even if you feel like screaming. Good luck..X  
  • Faith21
    Faith21 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hiya,

My son has CP and up until he was 9 months he cried all the time. I spent a lot of time with him in my arms rocking him as he watch the roof and smiled. I tried on a number of occasions to let him 'cry it out' and give him a bit of 'tough love' as many people told me but it never worked. I continued to highlight it to his paediatrician and eventually thy started him on a very small dose of muscle relaxant and it was like having a different baby! Not sure if this helps any. My son also had very bad reflux and then required a dairy free diet to help him settle! Good luck xx
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    I am personally not a fan of tough love with babies, if they feel safe and comforted when held, I dont think thats a bad thing! Have you looked at any slings or infant carriers so you can hold her close but still have your hands free?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • chelseabudworth24
    Thank you all for your comments!! Ive been trying darcey with different foods and she seems to be eating a little bit more! I have thought about a sling But they are so expensive xx
  • claire_bryony
    Have a look on local selling sites thro fb !! Ull find them cheeper :smile:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.