What benefits am I entitled to?
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Community updates

• Read over some of our recent discussions and have your say!

• Upload a new profile picture and give your profile a personal touch.

• Get the latest information on issues relating to coronavirus.

Council tax discount on pip?

novice123novice123 Member Posts: 1 Listener
I live in Scotland and receive both PIP rates at the standard rate and want to know if I can claim  council tax discount

Replies

• AlexAlex Scope Team Posts: 1,325 Scope community team
    Hi @Novice123,

You might be eligible - your house must have a special feature that makes it possible or easier for you to live there. Here are the important points from Shelter:

• To get a reduction in your council tax you must have both a person who is disabled living in your home and a special feature that makes it possible or easier for them to live there.
    • To apply for a reduction you need to write to your council tax department and they may ask for a letter from a health professional to support your application.
    • You can only get 12 months of discount so you need to reapply every 12 months to keep getting the discount.
    • If your application is approved your council tax will be reduced to the amount for the next council tax band down from the band your property is in.
    Read more here: http://scotland.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/advice_topics/paying_for_a_home/paying_council_tax/council_tax_and_disabled_people

Hope that helps.
  • AlexAlex Scope Team Posts: 1,325 Scope community team
    Hi @novice123

Was this helpful? Did you manage to get a discount?
Sign in or join us to comment.