Guest Post: My Hydrotherapy Experience — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Guest Post: My Hydrotherapy Experience

estellosaurus
estellosaurus Community member Posts: 6 Connected

Last September I had to have my hip replaced. I became a fully fledged bionic woman. I'm like 60% metal parts these days. You can read about the why's and where's in this post on my blog.  It was a long recovery and at my 12 week review my consultant suggested a course of Physiotherapy, they were concerned about some muscle weakness I had. I'd also been having a bit of pain in my new hip, the most irritating of which felt like I was sitting on a cricket ball all the time.

My physiotherapy referral came through quite quickly and I was referred to see the a physiotherapist at my local hospital. He was a nice man who put me at ease, we had a consultation and he asked me A LOT of questions, ranging from how well I slept, where my pain was, what medications I was on, to questions about how active I was and if I'd had any unexplained weight loss. He then proceeded to examine me, he concluded that my hip pain was muscle pain rather than an issue with my brand new bionic hip. I can't tell you what a relief that was as I'd already convinced myself that my body was rejecting my new hip!  

The physiotherapist recommended that I undergo a course of Hydrotherapy sessions, he thought it would help with my hip pain, the muscle weakness and as an added bonus he thought it may help with my inability to sleep and my anxieties. 

Hydrotherapy is a basically another form of physiotherapy where specific exercises are carried out in a purpose-built warm pool that is kept between 35.5 and 37 degrees. Throughout history, water therapy has been promoted for having excellent health benefits - think Roman baths! 

The benefits of hydrotherapy can include the warm water helping your muscles relax which can ease pain and make exercise a lot easier, the water helps to support your body weight which reduces pain and relieves the stress on your joints, it can also help to improve circulation and reduce swelling in joints. It is recommended for a number of conditions including Low Back Pain, Rheumatoid Arthritis and Orthopaedic surgery / breaks and fractures.  

Blue haired lady with bandana and tattoos smiling at camera 

For my first few sessions I was still on crutches and I was asked to use a wheeled frame that they had provided round the pool. There were around 8 or so other people (men and women) there, all having a session at the same time. 

The pool has big, wide steps into it with a handrail so it's pretty easy to get into. There is also a hoist on the side of the pool so they were able to hoist people in and out as well if they couldn't manage the stairs. The pool also has a hand rail the whole way around so if you are a bit unsteady like me, so can feel pretty safe making your way around the pool edge.

My first session was pretty simple. I was given 6 warm up exercises that I had to do 30 of each. 

- Marches

- Leg out to the side (right and left side)

- Leg out to the back (right and left side)

- Standing on tiptoes

- Gentle squats

That was all I did on the first session and it really exhausted me. I'd basically done nothing for months so this exercise which felt gentle and easy in the pool made me ache for the next day or so

My second session I started with the 6 warm up exercises and then started a new one - I was given one of those pool noodles that the hydrotherapist folded in half and I had to place one foot in the middle of it. I then had to do 30 knee raises with one hand holding the rail. I then turned to face the other way placing the other foot onto the noodle and repeating the exercise. If I felt up to it, I was able to do another 30 on each leg. These feel great - you get such a good stretch and the floating abilities of the pool noodle help to lift your leg up without putting too much pressure or strain onto your muscles. 

The next few sessions carried on like this, I built up the amount of warm up exercises over the next few weeks as well as building up the amount I did with the pool noodle. By week 4 I was doing 40 of each warm up and 60 with the leg lifts. 

The weeks after we added another new exercise which I found incredibly difficult. I had an arm band placed over each foot and I had to do small, but quick movements, bringing my ankle (with my leg straight) out to the side a few inches and then back next to my other ankle. I really struggled with this one and only managed 5 on each side that first time.

By week 8 I was practically a veteran. I was doing 30 of each warm up exercises, 2 sets of 80 leg lifts with the pool noodle on each leg, followed by 40 of each leg stretch with the rubber ring and the horrible one with the arm bands 10 times with each leg.

Week 8 was my last week. Generally, in my local NHS you are only allowed 8 hydrotherapy sessions. Apparently the demand is so great that 8 sessions is really the maximum they can offer. The pool in my local hospital does offer extra sessions one afternoon a week at a cost of around £44.00 for 6 sessions. They are however unguided and there is only someone available in an emergency so no instructor will guide you through the session. 

I found the hydrotherapy incredibly beneficial. Each time I got into the pool, the heat of the water literally melted away my anxiety, stress and pain. After just a few sessions I felt an improvement in my pain and my tolerance for being able to stand and walk for long periods was improved too! 

By my final week, I was feeling much better, the sitting-on-a-cricket ball pain had gone too which I was thrilled about. 

The instructor was nice, chatty and helpful. He was good at putting you at ease which helped. He explained and demonstrated each exercise clearly and made sure that I was able to follow the exercise before moving onto help someone else. My time in the pool was at it's longest around 40 minutes. 

I've since been back to dry land physiotherapy and have been discharged from the service. I was given a 12 week open ended appointment should I feel I need input from the physio department during that time. I have started to notice some pain and stiffness creeping back into my new hip and I am trying to find a new and quiet pool that I can use to keep up with the exercises I was given. I am really keen not to undo the good work from my hydrotherapy sessions.

I would definitely recommend a course of hydrotherapy if you are offered one. I really enjoyed the sessions I had and they definitely improved my mobility and helped me to recover even further from my surgery!

Thank you to Estelle for this post, you can read more about her on her blog Estellosaurus.  What are your experiences of Hydrotherapy? Did you find it useful? Is it something you are interested in?  Let us know.

Comments

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.