Daughter with learning disabilities having difficulties at work — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Daughter with learning disabilities having difficulties at work

Lindasmith
Lindasmith Community member Posts: 6 Listener
I have a 44 year old daughter with a learning disability. She has always worked from the age if 19 as a care assistant or a care assistant in Residential Hones for the elderly. She is finding difficulties of recording, writing and spelling. She is also asking residents and their visitors how to spell certain words. One residents visitor has made a written complaint. She has had two informal warnings. My daughter has an unblemished record before this. There are other issues like not remembering to knock on doors before entering. She has now been told she is likely to get a disciplinary. 

Comments

• GeoffBosworth195661
    GeoffBosworth195661 Community member Posts: 161 Pioneering
    edited March 2017
    Hi @Lindasmith I understand the reading and writing is the area that is the main problem. You have not said if your daughter is registered dyslexic and if so was they aware of the disability if so then your daughter treatment is disability discrimination. The home must have known of the disability in the excepting and the reading writing for application that was signed. It needs to be checked out about the information.   Also Scope advisors team Tel 0808 800 333 free call You must be frustrated and concerned but your daughter as got rights and she can flex those rights if needed. The walking in on people in your daughters eyes as genuinely forgets but I had a employer that wore a band on wrist that cured that as this was a reminder for that purpose. This could be tried I can not guarantee as everyone is different.  

• Lindasmith
    Could you give me the advisors team no again. I think must have no missing.
    Our daughter told this employer that she had a learning disability when she was took on. 
    She has now had two warnings and a date now for a disaplinary/dismissal. She is struggling and does not realise the severity of the situation. She has never had a formal diagnosis. Is now in receipt of pips. I am windering how she will stand if she gives notice before things are escalated by the employer. And how she will stand for benefits. 
  • Chris_Alumni
    Chris_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 689 Pioneering
    Hi Linda, I've moved your post to our employment issues thread where more people can see it. The phone number for our helpline is 0808 800 3333.
  • Lindasmith
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Hi Linda,

How is your daughter getting on?
  • Lindasmith
    Not too good. Final warning. But am getting some help from Remploy now.
  • trace1024
    trace1024 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Access to work may help they can pay fir s Carer or pa to work with her.  
  • Lindasmith
    Access to Work refer to Remoloy. They are going to get approval to pay someone to help her. But thank you. I would not have known this.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Really sorry to hear that. It must be really stressful for both of you. 

Let us know how it goes. If things don't go well, I hope she can find an employer who is more supportive.
  • Lindasmith
    Thank you.  Wish Care Manager had told me about Access to Work.  Have now contacted them and they have put me in touch with Remploy.  They may be able to pay for a Carer or PA as Tracy said.  But thats if she hasnt lost her job in the meantime.  
  • trace1024
    trace1024 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Hope not, the process take a while for me with assessment etc but now I've got it it's great! I got 18 hours pa/ Carer so can keep my self employed job.  Let us know x

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.