Participants wanted for UCL study about everyday use of digital technology — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Participants wanted for UCL study about everyday use of digital technology

Options
Peter_Williams
Peter_Williams Community member Posts: 1 Listener

In am a researcher at University College London who has undertaken much work with the people with learning disabilities. I have recently managed to obtain a three year Fellowship from the British Academy to explore the impact of ‘digital technology’ (mobile devices, computers etc.) on the everyday lives of people with learning disabilities and their parents, carers and other supporters.  In addition to recounting their experiences, participants will help co-produce a ‘living’ electronic archive of their ‘digital lives’, complete with their own page to which, independently or with support, they will be able to add photos and commentary.

I am currently looking for potential participants of all ages who have a basic literacy level, recruited from Functional Skills units in Further Education Colleges; Day Centres and other locations, as well as individual families. I plan to use a variety of methods with participants. I’ll be chatting to some at a PC, laptop or with a mobile device etc., and asking them to demonstrate their usage and interests. Social media users can (if they wish!) show me their Facebook pages, Pinterest uploads or other material – giving them an additional focus to discuss their experience with technology. I plan to also work with small groups and ask them to tell stories or hold discussions around some aspect of technology (such as ‘when my phone saved me’ or ‘my digital photos’ etc.).

I am hoping that participation in the project will be interesting – and even fun – for participants. If you feel anyone or any group with learning disabilities with whom you work may be interested, please contact me at:  peter.williams@ucl.ac.uk. I  have an enhanced DBS certificate and ethical approval from UCL to carry out the study. Please also feel free to pass this message  on to  anyone or any organization who you feel might be interested. Many thanks and hoping to hear from some of you!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.