Child turning 20 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Child turning 20

Options
summer
summer Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hello my child is leaving a specalist school becasue he turns 20 soon. He recieves pip at both enhanced rate. Would be beable to stay on my tax credit award rather than claim esa in his own right. He isnt capable of managing his finances hes still like a child wanting to go places and do things a child likes to do. I have a 11 year old awell. My disabled child been take  off our tax credit award would put us in financial diffuculty because we would need to go back out to work to support the 11 year old but carnt because we have no care for the 20 year old it would be easier for him to stay on our tax credits award so i can provide him with  all the things he needs 

Comments

• Chris_Alumni
    Chris_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 689 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @summer, I've moved your post to our benefits advisors page as they may be able to advise you.
  • summer
    summer Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    HI summer,

No, I'm sorry you can't get child benefit or child tax credit for your child once he turns 20. He'll need to claim in his own right (ESA, as you mention), but you can be an appointee for him, which means you do everything he would do to make the claims and report changes of circumstances. 

You can ask the DWP about becoming an appointee if you aren't one already.

You might also want to consider getting power of attorney so that you have responsibility for managing his finances in general.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.