I'm new here — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I'm new here

Sophiesmum2002
Sophiesmum2002 Community member Posts: 21 Listener
Hi everyone,  I'm new here. My gp prescribed me some new antidepressants today (I can't remember if she said what they are called or not). My fiancé's going to the doctors to pick up my prescription for me in the morning as I'm starting the voluntary work placement which mine n my fiancé's job centre adviser has put us on (I'm doing my placement at the local salvation army charity shop and my fiancé is doing his at the local rspca charity shop). I start mine tomorrow morning (my fiancé started his laat week) at 10am and I don't finish until 4pm.
My gp also advised me to phone oe call into my local branch of MIND and make myself a self referal appointment with a counsellor for counselling,  but the only problem is that I don't finish until the 25th of next month and myself and my fiancé have to find time to get over to our local hospital for some tests (personal reasons) as well as finding time to go n visit my fiancé's brother and his partner and her son. 
I just don't know what to do first once my voluntary placement has finished. ..do I make appointment for counselling first or do me n my fella sort out our hospital appointment or our long overdue visit to see my fella's brother and his partner and her son?  
I've also got an appointment for my asthma review next month as well.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Sophiesmum2002
    Sophiesmum2002 Community member Posts: 21 Listener
    edited August 2017
    Hi @DannyMoore
    I have had postnatal depression for over 14 years as it started after my daughter was forcibly adopted against my wishes back in the spring of 2002
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Sophiesmum2002 I would agree with @DannyMoore that following your doctor's advice should be one of the top priorities. Referral to a councillor can take time, so the earlier you can get that going the better. You can always mention that you are not available until the current placement is over. Hospital appointments can take a few weeks to come through as well.

Most employers understand that sometimes needs arise where some time off is required, especially for medical reasons if any of the appointments come in prior to you finishing your placement. Just remember to notify your advisor at the job centre as well.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.