What is the one thing you want the world to know about ASD? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What is the one thing you want the world to know about ASD?

Sam_Alumni
Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
As it is Autism Awareness Week, we asked the hive brain on twitter what is the one thing they would want the world to know about ASD and got some great responses.  We'd love to know your thoughts.

What do you think? We know it's complex and that everyone is different but if you had to share one thing about ASD what would it be?

Scope
Senior online community officer

Comments

• Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    One thing is hard!

But:
    Once you've met a person with Autism, you've met one person with Autism.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
    edited May 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    One assumption that bugs me is that as someone who was diagnosed as an adult, I should have adapted by now, therefore, I can't get any support. Adapted to what exactly? Being taken advantage of? Not being able to communicate my needs?

Just because I was diagnosed as an adult, doesn't mean I've adapted, nor does it mean my needs are less greater than the people who were diagnosed as a child. I need just as much support as them.
  • Ariel
    Ariel Community member Posts: 16 Courageous
    Hm...one thing?

I think it would have to be:

"Just because some autistic people aren't noticeably autistic, that doesn't mean that they're not struggling inside."
  • bendigedig
    bendigedig Community member Posts: 254 Pioneering
    I believe that its Autism Awareness Week?  

Like so many of these initiatives,  they are only as good as what comes from them.

So,  whats the outcome?  Has anything good come from it?

I'd like the world to know that there is no big deal about ASD.  We all just need to treat people with a bit more care and consideration.

If we all practised the "golden rule" in the way that we should, then there probably wouldnt be a need for an Autism awareness week or any other week for that matter.

Perhaps we should have a "lets try and get our society to function correctly week"?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.