Stress and cerebral palsy — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Stress and cerebral palsy

yvette41
yvette41 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited April 2017 in Cerebral palsy
Hi I'm new to this group, I have mild cerebal palsy and it affects me most days but when I'm stressed I find that I tense up that much I can't move.. does anyone else relate to this please.

Comments

• Noah
    Noah Community member Posts: 425 Pioneering
    edited August 2017
    Thanks for your post @yvette41

Any stress certainly does make cerebal palsy even more of a challenge.

You may find something helpful on our discussion https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/28690/things-that-you-have-found-helpful-for-managing-your-cp

Have you spoken to your doctor about how Stress makes your CP worse?

Wish you very best

Noah  
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • htlcy
    htlcy Community member Posts: 128 Pioneering
    Hi @yvette41, I also have mild cp and find stress exacerbates my condition. Stress can exacerbate a lot of things but I find it worsens my spasticity. I've tried practising meditation and ensure to have rest days, as well as enough sleep. CP can sometimes be so unpredictable but you're most definitely not alone!
    I hope you're well,
    Heather 
  • jamanfield
    jamanfield Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi @yvette41 I also have mild cp on my right side. I can definitely relate. I think my cp especially flares up when I get mithered. I feel like there is no warning.  I have a desk base job which I don't think helps at times as my right side of my neck, shoulder and back tighten up.  To try and help me I have cut my hours at work so I have Wednesday afternoon off and have been to my exercise classes early evenings which i think have  had a positive effect. I've tried yoga but I've found it difficult to balance but I'm really enjoying Pilates and Zumba. As well as regular physio I have also tried going to see a chiropractor. I am willing to try anything which will help. I've been having more flare up recently and it's takes longer for my muscles to relax now. 
    Jess 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.