If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Having difficulties logging in or resetting your password?

Please email [email protected]

Does my mother qualify for Carers Allowance?

frase123frase123 Posts: 2Member Listener
edited April 2017 in Carer's allowance
My father has early stage dementia and my mother is receiving Attendance Allowance. my father now needs care 24/7  which my mother is happy to do, my question is does my mother qualify for Carers Allowance ? Also their car is now failed the MOT and is beyond repair ,would they qualify for a mobility car on carers allowance ,my father is attending hospital appointments 4 times a month with a round trip of 38 miles.

Replies

• NystagmiteNystagmite Posts: 609Member Pioneering
    Does your mum receive a state pension? There's no mobility component with attendance allowance, which means they can't get a car.
  • frase123frase123 Posts: 2Member Listener
    Yes she receives the state pension - no other pensions
  • wildlifewildlife Posts: 1,316Member Pioneering
    Hi @frase123, My husband has full state pension and therefore is not entitled to be actually paid any money for carer's allowance because his pension is more than the rate for carer's allowance but you can claim and get something called an underlying entitlement to it that helps to get more help with council tax and housing benefit if you're in a council property. You get a lot off these so well worth filling in the online form. Check out Gov.uk for the criteria..

• BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Posts: 2,679Member Pioneering

Hi frase123

Nystagmite and Wildlife are right in what they say about the State Pension - the DWP will only pay whichever is the higher, and if your mother is on full state pension this is likely to be higher than the Carers Allowance (which is £62.70 per week).

I would recommend that they get in touch with local agency to do a full benefit check for them, as there may be scenarios where it may still be beneficial for them both to claim Carers Allowance for each other, as well as other benefits such as Pension Credit/ Council Tax Support/ etc. but it can get very complex.

I would recommend your local CAB or Age UK office as a first point of call - its best for a full check to be done by someone who has all the information in front of them so that nothing is missed.

Kind regards,

Mary

The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • DasiydoDasiydo Posts: 94Member Courageous
    My. Mum lost her caring alwon for me
    V.shaw
    Dasiydo,

Was this because she started getting retirement pension, too? If not, and you have a separate question, please start a new post - thank you!

Will
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
    frase123,

Fares to hospital can be reimbursed if your family are on certain benefits. These include the guarantee credit of Pension Credit - one of the benefits that would definitely be covered if your parents go for a benefits check as Mary has suggested.

If your parents have to travel by taxi due to your father's disability, the taxi fares can be claimed. 

Even if your parents don't get the guarantee credit of Pension Credit, there is another route to help with health costs, called the low income scheme. You could ask Age UK/Citizens Advice to check whether your parents qualify for this, if the benefits check finds that they can't get the guarantee credit of Pension Credit. 

Will
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.