Teeth Grinding — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Teeth Grinding

Options
Blue Frog
Blue Frog Community member Posts: 358 Pioneering
:#:# Hi does anyone have any advice or tips on how to discourage teeth grinding? Am really worried about what my daughter's new habit is doing to her teeth, and the noise is absolutely dreadful. At the moment we are just ignoring it (and cringing inside  :s)

Comments

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Options
    I once knew a young boy who liked to grind his teeth and I agree that the noise is dreadful!

From what I've heard, it's often because they enjoy the sensation and stimulation - so one tactic is to give them something to crew on. There are lots of different types of chew toys out there: http://www.sensorydirect.com/sense/chewys.html

Good luck!
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Is she a daytime or night time grinder? How old is she?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Blue Frog
    Blue Frog Community member Posts: 358 Pioneering
    Options
    Just in the day, she sucks her fingers at night so she can't do it then! She is 4 and she has significant learning disabilities so doesn't really understand. I was mad enough to try sticking a finger in her mouth yesterday  :s so I think trying the chewy things might be a very good idea thanks xxx

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.