How accessible is the beauty and hair salon industry? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How accessible is the beauty and hair salon industry?

ClaireOT
ClaireOT Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited March 2019 in Research and opportunities
Having recently visited a hair salon, I observed a wheelchair user who was unable to have her hair washed in the basins in her wheelchair. I watched on as two hairdressers drag lifted this lady out of her wheelchair to put her onto their seat so she could have her hair washed. This made me think, where is the fairness, dignity or safety in that? It got me thinking, how accessible is the beauty and hair industry environment? Every body has a right to go out and access services in their community. Engaging in self-care activities (or occupations) are very meaningful to a lot of people. Although there are mobile beauty and hairdressing/barber services that can come to people’s homes if needs be, individuals are willing to pay for the experience and luxury of going out to a salon/barber. There is nothing like being pampered by somebody else, catching up with friends in a social environment and having a catch up over coffee whilst you get your treatment-it is time for yourself. As a student Occupational Therapist as part of a final year project, I am looking into the efficacy of working with the beauty industry to see how accessible businesses' think they are and whether this is something they would like to improve on. Your experiences and opinions would be much appreciated. Have you ever had difficulties in accessing nail/beauty/hair services? 

How accessible is the beauty and hair salon industry? 7 votes

I've never had a problem in accessing beauty services
0%
I've had some difficulty in the past with accessing beauty services
14%
whistles 1 vote
I always have difficulty accessing beauty services
42%
MonSter10janer1967rhianarwel 3 votes
I avoid accessing beauty services and prefer someone to come to my home
42%
wheelygirlBlue FrogAriel 3 votes

Comments

• ClaireOT
    Your experiences and opinions are much appreciated. If you would like to say anything in addition to this poll, please feel free. I will be forever grateful! 
  • nanof6
    nanof6 Community member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    i cant get into any hair dressers where i live, i go to the collage, locals loss, anyway instead of £15   £20 for a hair cut, it cost me £4. 50p i'm well happy
  • Blue Frog
    Blue Frog Community member Posts: 358 Pioneering
    edited April 2017
    I avoid accessing beauty services and prefer someone to come to my home
    @ClaireOT have you seen this? Lots of good discussion on a similar issue...

https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/comment/87734#Comment_87734

(my vote is on your poll is on behalf of my little girl)
  • ClaireOT
    Hi both, thanks so much for taking part. 

'nanof6' out of interest, why is it that you can't access the hair dressers where you live? e.g. is it actually getting into the hairdressers that is the problem? Also, if you could click which option you feel answers your experience best on the poll, that would be much appreciated- thank you. 

'Blue Frog', Thank you for taking part in the poll and for sharing the link- I will check it out. 
  • FluffandFlow
    FluffandFlow Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi to all,

For me going to salon is not the only way to have a beautiful hair dressed and style, there are now having different product that can help us and do it by own self only in an easy way to keep stay pretty and healthy our hair.
  • MonSter10
    MonSter10 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi Claire,

Great to read your post here, I did actually Google "accessible salon" with my postcode, what came up was a salon in London (I'm in Manchester) upon reading their info it turned out that they were not accessible after all. I guess that's how inaccessible the hair & beauty industry is. I've been a model, dancer, musician with my own businesses in the past. I'm now a wheelchair user due to the MonSter  (S P Multiple Sclerosis) frantically attempting to find someone other than my ten year old daughter, or husband to cut my hair.  Maybe I'll take the tip of going to the nearest college, thanks nanof6!
  • GothOnWheels
    GothOnWheels Community member Posts: 18 Connected
    I'm also struggling with this. so many of the salons i can't even get in the blinking door, let alone anything else. i've even looked into someone coming to my home but sadly because my house isn't wheelchair friendly that's not possible either. i have to go swimming to even wash my hair :(
    Not broken, Just more interesting
  • rhianarwel
    rhianarwel Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    My mother was told today by her hairdresser that she wasn’t able to attend her salon anymore - where she has been a customer for many years. They have no handrail to go up the two steps to the basins. They said they are are not prepared to help her or for her friend to help her as he is “too old”!! They told her she would need to hire a private nurse to accompany her if she wanted to return there. This upset her tremendously and myself actually. Such an important part of maintaining independence and dignity. On the hunt now for an accessible hair dresser in the Cardiff area....
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @rhianarwel, welcome to the community and thank you for sharing your mother's experience. It must have been very upsetting for her and frustrating after being a client there for so long. How are you both feeling today?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • rhianarwel
    rhianarwel Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks for you reply Adrian, it was very upsetting for her. They dealt with the situation very poorly. Addressing her in the third person while she was present and refusing to make reasonable adaptations to accommodate disabled clients. 
    Move contacted the Equality and Human Rights Commission for advice and guidance and have now written a letter of complaint to the salon. Let’s see if they come back with a response!! 
    I think businesses don’t accommodate disabled customers as they should be and this needs to be highlighted to push through change. I wonder if any others have had the same treatment?

• ClaireOT
    Hi Rhiana! 

I’m so sorry to hear about your experience, that must be so upsetting and frustrating for you both. What’s really positive is that you’ve taken it forward. Keep us posted on that reply! 

Claire 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.