DLA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DLA

SethLaa
SethLaa Community member Posts: 111 Courageous
Am I correct in thinking that if I ask DWP to increase my Middle Rate Care of DLA to High Rate then this will start the process of DLA to PIP. Many thanks in advance for your assistance from Russ 

Comments

• serena09
    serena09 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
    I believe if there are any changes to report, then yes you will be advised to apply for pip.
  • SethLaa
    As I suspected, better get start then, thank you @Serena09
  • serena09
    serena09 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
    Glad I could help, good luck 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @SethLea

You might want to ponder starting the PIP process before you really have to.  DLA to PIP transition often is not smooth and it is more difficult to qualify for PIP than for DLA.  You will continue to be paid your DLA for now and your invite from the DWP to apply for PIP will come round soon enough.
  • SethLaa
    Thanks for that Matilda, got so much happening at the moment and with a bout of Chemotherapy about to start in the near future then methinks it may be better to wait for the PIP invite.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi SethLaa/Russ,

Yes, if you request a change to your DLA award you will be invited to claim PIP. As Matilda says, getting that process over with might be an idea but on the other hand, you've got a lot going on right now.

Whilst I'm on, I can answer your other question more clearly now. If you are due to have chemotherapy in six months (at the date of the DWP decision) then you are treated as automatically having limited capability for work AND limited capability for work-related activity. That puts you straight in the support group and no assessment is needed.

Worth pointing out though that PIP doesn't have the same alternative routes to benefit as ESA does. So in PIP, almost everyone will have the assessment, unless they are terminally ill, although technically it's still completely lawful to make a decision without an assessment for any claimant.

Hope this helps!

Will

The Benefits Training Co:

• SethLaa
    Thank you all, am already in the Support Group but with regards Chemotherapy then I don't yet know when it's gonna start, as said in another post it is probably better to wait until I have got the Chemo over with first, from then on it will hopefully be 'onwards and upwards'.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.