If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Changes to ESA Support Group?

SystemSystem Posts: 58 admin
edited April 25 in Ask a benefits advisor
This discussion was created from comments split from: ESA support group changes.

Replies

• kevstar1kevstar1 Posts: 6Member Listener
    What changes are being made to the support group please
  • NystagmiteNystagmite Posts: 218Member Chatterbox
    They want to try and get us meeting with advisers. Good luck with that - some of us, like me, need someone with us. Does that mean they're going to pay one of my parents to come with me? They'd have to take a day off work to come to these appointments. There's no way in hell I'd be able to go alone.
  • WheelyRachelWheelyRachel Posts: 67Member Talkative
    Here we go again being declared fit for work without even see us.
    its happen to me 3 times already in the last 8 years. I just get a letter turn up saying I've now gotta sign on. So I go of to the job centre and the advisor there take one look at me and declares me medically unit to work and then comments I totally sorry for this we've had a day of nothing but people like your self getting letter declaring them fit to work.

So I looking forward to the next one.
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Posts: 966Member, Community advisor Chatterbox
    Hi kevstar1,

The changes the government have recently announced are for people in the work-related activity group, offering them more help (although it really doesn't look like much more!) to get ready to return to work in the future. The changes DO NOT apply to people in the support group.

The additional employment-related support (which is maybe where the confusion comes from) was announced by a government minister called Penny Mordaunt. It's connected to the loss of the work-related activity component that new claimants in the work-related activity group experience since the beginning of April. 

Long term, there may be changes to the whole format of the work capability assessment but I'm not aware of any specific announcements on that.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Will Hadwen
    Jayne Knights
    Laura Morrell
    Mary Shone
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland

• BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Posts: 966Member, Community advisor Chatterbox
    Hi WheelyRachel,

That's terrible - if it's happening so often, have you tried making a complaint? I know it is a lot of work but this definitely is a mess up. Your MP might be interested too. It sounds like an administrative mess but doesn't really matter where the error is being made, it's causing people lots of distress and wasted time.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Will Hadwen
    Jayne Knights
    Laura Morrell
    Mary Shone
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland

• GeoarkGeoark Posts: 331Member Chatterbox
Sign in or join us to comment.