My son and PIP — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My son and PIP

Options
catsybabe
catsybabe Community member Posts: 11 Listener
edited April 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi i have a 21 year old son he has autistic spectrum dissorder adhd aspergers  he sufders wjth mental health problems such as fears and phobias fears of knives anythin sharp hot hit water cookers everything dangerous im going througb an appeal now however i have applied ti the court yesterday for the appeal the assessor did not assess my son properly and lied on things aswell after we asked for the full copy of the assessment she did online we were shocked she said she assessed hnm walking with normal gait he was sitting down when came and was sitting when he left . Said he had god cognition because he did his gcses he never took gcse he did city and guilds and aload of other rubish that thankfully we can back with evidence but my son didnt recieve any points and he cant cook for himself .either i cant wair for this face to face hearing as im going all the way . I reported the assessor to.capita horrible i know but if they have done wrong they need to know . 

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Welcome to the community @catsybabe and sorry to hear the problems you are currently going through.

I am glad to hear you have made a complaint, since it sounds like the assessor has made assumptions which should not have been made about your son's autism.

I know a young lady with autism who passed an A level. She was taught on her own as sensory issues meant she could not function with too many people around her. The school got a special dispensation for the A level questions to be changed to centre around her passion, Superman.

Despite this it is extremely unlikely she will ever work or even function within mainstream society. Even the fire alarm for where she was in the school was for the lights to flash as the noise would have rendered her helpless and a physical danger to herself and the staff. Her timetable, including starting and finishing times were set so she had minimum contact with too many other people.

So even if your son had done GCSEs this would not necessarily mean he is able to cope.

Sadly your is not the first case I have heard of where an autistic young person is given no points but plainly would not cope within most working environments. Good luck on your appeal, it sounds like you have a strong case.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.