EHCP and moving boroughs — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

EHCP and moving boroughs

temitayo
temitayo Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited May 2017 in Education
My son attends a school registered under Redbridge borough and the school is in the process of applying for a EHCP. We have now moved to Havering Borough. Can you please advise if the new borough will be responsible for funding the plan or we will have to move my son to a new school in Havering for the process to continue? Thank you.

Comments

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Hi @temitayo

Welcome to the community!

@Scope_rosie is this something you might be able to help with?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 126 Listener
    Hey @temitayo

It's not a black and white answer I'm afraid - Havering will be responsible for the plan going forward, so I'd imagine that possibly, Redbridge will hand that over to them.  

Whether he needs to change school is likely to depend on whether there is a school in Havering that could meet your son's identified needs.  If not, Havering may decide that it's in his best interests for your son to remain at the school in Redbridge.  

Do you have an Independent Supporter working with your family to get the EHCP sorted?  They will probably be able to give you more tailored advice on this.   In Havering, Independent Support is delivered by Barnardos.  It's free and unbiased, I'd suggest you get in contact with them to see if they can meet with you to talk about what's happened so far, and what you'd like to be included on the plan (including named school).

Hope this helps and if you'd like to talk things through further, feel free to give us a call or email the helpline: 0808 800 3333 / helpline@scope.org.uk

-Rosie

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.