Worth going for MR? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Worth going for MR?

jules18
jules18 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi everyone... I am new to all this but wanted to share and ask for advice.. Just been awarded pip at standard rate 1 point away from enhanced... Is it worth going for MR and if I do will I loose what they have already awarded.... I moved from DLA to PIP do you not get the rate backdated because you were already receiving DLA.

Comments

• iza
    iza Scope Member Posts: 703 Pioneering
    Hi @jules18, welcome to the community. 
    I will ask @BenefitsTrainingCo to help you here. 
    They will get in touch with you very soon to support your request. 

Have a great weekend. 

Iza 
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @jules18,

How are you? How is your PIP claim going?

Apologies for the delay in response. I have moved this discussion to our 'Ask A Benefits Advisor' category, where @BenefitsTrainingCo may be able to help.

If you have any other questions, please do get in touch!
    Liam
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi there,
    I can understand your frustration about being only one point away from the enhanced rate (not sure if it's daily living or mobility?), but you need to be pretty confident about the number of points you think you would qualify for before requesting a Mandatory Reconsideration. The act of requesting a MR is a request to look again at your entire award, and so you do risk losing points as well as gaining them as unfortunately the assessment process is never predictable. You need to go through all the activities and points really thoroughly, and identify where your score could improve, and also if you would be able to provide evidence of this - very important for the MR / appeal process. There is excellent and detailed information about the points system on the Disability Rights UK website and also on the following: www.benefitsandwork.co.uk and www.turn2us.org.uk. On the DWP website you will also find a huge PIP resource, including the very helpful PIP handbook:  www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/610259/personal-independence-payment-handbook.pdf.
    In answer to your second question....as it says in the Disability Rights Handbook: 'If you get a decision to award PIP, entitlement to DLA ends 4 weeks after the next DLA pay day and the PIP award will begin on the following day. So if the decision is just after your pay day, the PIP award may not start for almost 8 weeks, even if the PIP award has resulted in an increase to your entitlement'.
    I hope this helps!

Jayne

The Benefits Training Co:

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @jules18

Each case is different of course.  Initially I was awarded PIP 11 points for daily living and 10 points mobility.  MR made no change.  At appeal I was awarded 13 points and 12 points respectively.

I have a recognised degenerative disease and had strong medical evidence from when I first claimed DLA.  So strictly a face to face re-assessment for PIP was unnecessary but nevertheless an Atos paramedic 'assessed' me fact to face  (and told lies in her report, of course!).

I was given quite a grilling at the appeal hearing who granted my appeal, with the tribunal decision notice stating that no time limit should be set on my award.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.